Trooper sadles

Rod Meyer

Trooper sadles

Post by Rod Meyer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm looking for a trooper saddle. Help me decide on which one to get.

I've had a tucker edurance saddle for 8 years and loved it. I took a ride on a buddies Heskett trooper and was impressed with how comfy it was.

Also I did a search on Trail and field saddlery and didn't turn up anything.

What do you all like?

original mngsp

Re: Trooper sadles

Post by original mngsp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:08 pm

I've always liked riding in Tarpin Hill troopers, but tried a Tucker and like dit so well I ended up buying it. I'll never complain about being in either of those makes or troopers.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Heskett saddles is run by larrys nephew, larry started Tarpin Hill....the Hesketts are supposed to be very nice....M&W as well coming from my limited knowledge on saddles..

Chip

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:21 pm

I can personally attest to the fact that not all trooper saddles are the same for all riders. I am kinda stumpy and short legged...not at all the cowboy image(well maybe a chunky Gabby Hayes)

I tried an M & W saddles...twice...no...three times. It felt soooo good when I first got up into it but after a half hour I started to notice a bit ofdiscomfort. after an hour it was getting annoying and shortly thereafter my upper thighs and groin area started to actually hurt. I like the saddle so much that I tried three different saddles(oh and this was all on the same horse at different times).

I sat a Tucker endurance and a Buena Vista and did not like the feel of either and it did not get better as the ride progressed. I was given an old Clarke trooper saddle and it is fine except that it slopes down in the back and I feel no stop when I sit back in the saddle. It ain't the saddle for me to go over uneven ground at a fast lope.

I sat a Tucker trooper and found it to be comfortable for me for extended periods. That's what I bought .
Bottom line is there are seeral very well made trooper type or endurance type saddles out there. You really have to try the saddle if you can, on the horse you are going to ride. It has to fit both you and the horse.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I have 2 Jack Haggis trooper saddles and they are the best that I have ridden! They are made with excellent quality and craftsmanship and I would recommend them.

Rod Meyer

Post by Rod Meyer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 pm

yes I agree, the Haggis saddles are very nice!

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:28 pm

I've had a Tarpin Hill Super Duty Trooper for nearly 3 years, and it is super comfortable. I love the foam and gel combination. I honestly feel ten years younger after a day in the saddle, and in a prairie trial that can be about 40 miles. Tree fit is also very good, and every one of my horses (5) gaits just fine and show no discomfort. Better fit than the three original Canadian army troopers I still own.

I haven't ridden a Haggis for more than a brace or two, and I liked them very much, and NOBODY touches them for workmanship.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:09 pm

If you have a crane handy or someone to help you lift it buy an MandW. If you want to feel like your riding a barrel buy a haggis. if you want pinched in the front of the seat buy a christie. The one tucker i had was made cockeyed. Tarpin Hill/Hesket saddles are light weight and durable. They may not be finished as nice as the others but the ride and feel great. Price wise there 250 cheaper than a tucker.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 am

I have ridden them all, and my favorite trooper saddle is the Tarpin Hill/Hesket. I have a Tucker in the trailer in case someone needs to borrow a horse, but I rarely ride it myself.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Rod Meyer

Post by Rod Meyer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 pm

wannabe wrote:I have ridden them all, and my favorite trooper saddle is the Tarpin Hill/Hesket. I have a Tucker in the trailer in case someone needs to borrow a horse, but I rarely ride it myself.
Really, thats awesome!! there must be dozens of troopers. I've been privileged to ride only a few. The one I did like the best was the tarpin Hill. How does the Tarpin Hill compare to the Trail and field trooper you rode?