Gunner

rockllews

Gunner

Post by rockllews » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 am

Horse for Sale :D

We were told no buck, no kick when my grandparents bought him two months ago. But guess what...?! He does buck. :evil: Had I only seen or ridden him before they paid that lady... she would have had to find some other suckers. :lol:

Any takers?

Seriously, though, if a horse is bucking at 20 years old, is there any prospect of working him through it? He's just cranky and really wants little to do with work and people. I don't plan on spending any more time with/on Gunner, since there's no way I'll ever put my six year old cousin (and other beginners) on him (plus, I have no time to consistently work him). But as far as reselling him goes....

Oh, the lady usually (maybe only) rode him bareback in a rope halter. She "said" he did fine trail riding/hacking with that. And she put her kids on him bareback. I'm hesitant to try that combo on him due to my previous encounters but almost feel like I should because maybe he just has a problem with saddles (I know he doesn't like the cinching) and bits. Would you suggest trying it? I've tried him in a western saddle, english saddle, two different mild snaffles. He mostly is fine at the walk (but will try to trot or crow-hop); it's at the trot that he really starts to act up and get ornery. I've never cantered on him, and the previous owner said she never had either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brittguy

Re: Gunner

Post by Brittguy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:24 am

Have you talked to the lady he was purchased from? Let her show you how she rides him. Have you talked about returning him. I once bought a horse that was nice except he kicked. Got me twice real good. The man I bought him from acted surprised ( I'm sure that was an act) he refunded me part of my money I found someone that bought him knowing the problem .I lost just a small amount of money.They never did solve the problem.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:53 pm

Have you tried a hackamore?
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 pm

I emailed the gal last night and I've haven't heard back; I expected as much, for the type of deal/sale it was. I'm advertising him as honestly as I can... but what with the horse market like it is and him like he is, I don't have too high of expectations.

Thanks for the suggestion- I haven't tried a hackamore, as I don't have one and have never used one. Plus, where he's kept at my grandparents, I've not got access to any safe arenas or round pens for working him. Heck, when I was thrown I landed about a yard away from a barb-wire fence. :? Unideal conditions for training....

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:59 am

If the horse was, at one time able to be ridden by youngsters(and that is a big if) it might well be that this horse has some health issues that make it painful for him to carry a rider.

I'd ask the vet for some NSAID's, dose the horse for a day or two and then a half hour prior to working him, Then I'd lunge him for a half hour to loosen him up. Then I'd saddle up and ride him and see what I had. If it helps, then you'll know its not all in the horse's head.

Either way, at 20 yrs. old...there ain't much that is practical to do. That is the sad fact of the matter.

Tough situation, either way. I'd probably send him to the sale barn. Ain't worth getting hurt. I enjoy training dogs...not horses.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:43 pm

I've found that with an otherwise good, kind horse, bad behavior is usually a response to pain. Check his back - thumb and middle finger on either side of his spine, with a little pressure. Go from withers to to croup and press every few inches. if he has a painful area, the muscles there will twitch when you apply pressure. Then press the areas a bit lower on either side.
If all's well, check your saddle fit.