A Better Stake-out ?

JimB

A Better Stake-out ?

Post by JimB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:32 pm

I posted a question about stake-outs a while back. I searched the net and looked at what friends used, but I have yet to see something that I really liked ,....so now I've made one. I think it will be safe, easy to pound in and pull out, and won't bind or get the rope tangled. I was wondering if others would be interested in one ? Tell me what you think....
It's 28 in long, made of 3/4 sucker rod (stronger than cold rolled ) topped by a mushroom steel cap
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

pear

Re: A Better Stake-out ?

Post by pear » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Needs a heavier cap. That thing will be driven into the ground many times over it's life, hitting rocks and such. The cap looks way to thin for the job..... Otherwise you've got a winner. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

JimB

Post by JimB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:50 pm

pear
the pic doesn't show the cap right, it is 3/8 in steel, I've been pounding on it and also use the cap to pull the stake out. So far, it seems strong enough,....guess time will tell
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

pear

Post by pear » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Your right, it doesn't look 3/8's. That might work but I haven't had the sucsess, with 3/8's. I have a guy make them just about like that, and I prefer at least 1/2 in.. They take quite a beating over time. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:24 pm

Jim -

Looks good to me...but my reservation is also about the mushroom cap and I wonder if a miss hit(I never miss myself...HA) might bend the edge down enough to interfere with the ring rotation.

RayG

JimB

Post by JimB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Ray
the cap is only 3.75 in across, so it doesn't have a lot of over lap....but you could be right. I usually don't go too crazy when pounding stakes. This is my first one, so I'll just keep testing until it fails, but it's been good so far...
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:03 am

Been there done it and built them(I'm a welder by trade) if you don't drill or punch a hole and stick your rod clean through the cap and fillet weld the wee wee out of it,a feller who misses with the sledge will break it(the cap) off in short order if most hits are not centered over the stake.Sucker rod is really good material however your weld rod selection will need to match its metalurgy in order to take a licking and keep on ticking.