Saddle Help / Input

daddyfid

Saddle Help / Input

Post by daddyfid » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Would like your opinions! I have been riding a M & W trooper and love the comfort of it, but I do not feel secure in the saddle. I rode a friends western saddle last night and felt like I could stay in the saddle better if my horse spooked. I am thinking about selling my trooper and buying a western. My local saddle shop sells a Simco trail saddle for $850.00. Not sure if this is a good brand or not.

What brand would you recommed that is less than $1,000.

Thanks

Brian

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Re: Saddle Help / Input

Post by AHGSP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Brian,

Do a search for saddles on Ebay before you buy new. I won the bid on a $1500. Tucker Custom Aussie last year for 700. that was brand new. It didn't fit the fella's slighter built Mare, so he put it on there to get rid of it.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Might also want to look at a plantation saddle.... kind of in the middle of trooper and trail saddle. I felt the same way I love the ride of a trooper but wanted a little more security and now I have a plantation saddle that is comfy and secure with no horn.

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I use a Simco Western Arabian curved skirt saddle. It is the greatest saddle, had for over 6 years now. It is tough on the butt after many hours in the saddle, but it's been thru heck and back and done a fantastic job! There is nothing wrong with a Simco. They are good for the dollar you pay. I like mine!! :D

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Have you considered an Abetta? Light, cheap, and easy to clean (cordura). They seem to fit well, are comforable, and you can choose western with a horn or an endurance style w/o.
The only upgrade I put to mine was some comfort stirrups.