Appaloosa Chat

MOOSE

Appaloosa Chat

Post by MOOSE » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:24 am

There was a post in the general forum area regarding an Appalosa Stallion. I don't know all his bloodlines but recognize many of them. Here is a link to his pedigree for those of you wondering if he is a cross on an arab etc.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/chocolatey

Also Appaloosas who are foundation (blood rich appaloosas) can and do have long tails. Here are some pictures of my mare who is a solid appaloosa (spots don't always come through) and Beau my former stallion who I have since sold who was also foundation. Very nice long tails.

Khira (mare)

Beau(stallion)

One of their resulting foals (kiowa)

Another Foundation Appaloosa mare

This once again is not ment to start any arguments but it is very obviouse some of you don't have a clue about horse looks and bloodlines. To even say that Chocolaty was part arabian,standardbred is horrible. He doesn't even look close to that. Yes he is well bred Appaloosa crossed to nice Quarter Horse lines but that is it. There may be 6+ generations back a TB back there.

I would like to also see some other Appaloosa owners jump in here and post pictures of their horses!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

TimSchoenborn

Re: Appaloosa Chat

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 am

Well you will never see a head or a front leg like this on an Arab 8)

All kidding aside, he is an awesome horse. I not only know the owner very well obviously but the trainer who has taken him to the top too. They are both very good clients of mine.

This horse went into the AQHA world and literally put the smack down. Not only at The Reichert Celebration, but also the NSBA World Show along at the Tom Powers.

He is a freak to say the least.........

And best of all he has a brain.

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:59 am

Sorry didn't mean to offend. To me at least, while the horse is indeed a beauty it has the appearance of two types of horse were used to put him together. The rear does look like an App with the exception of the tail.The front, with the slight dished head and the short cropped ears looks to me like the Arab I once had. Then again, it could be one of those show breeding's that causes the confusion with me.. Chief Joseph is either rolling in his grave or popping buttons with pride......

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:03 am

Beautiful horse! He has lost most of the signature appy traits that make the breed stand out from others. again, he's a fine specimen of a horse.

Today's Appys are far from what they once were. Typical and typie appys are what my girlfriend has long loved the rat tails, no mane, no forelock but strong stout build. Truthfully the uglier the appy the more she loves them (for once we agree on what a beautiful appy is) . In the recent years appys have been crossed more with QH and TB lines to improve on their looks. I really can't say that I blame them for the crossing as Appys for years now have fought against color prejudice and it did them no justice to be lacking in what most horses had in surplus (Manes, tails, and reducing what is commonly referred to as the "Pig Eye" effect). Looking at that pretty boy you can see the QH lines in him, the obvious mane, tail and forelock but also his petite ears and very typie QH head and face. Looking at any horse that is showing strong QH halter looks true conformation QH's they are going to resemble slightly an Arab head with a soft dish and a more pronounced crest. Its also true that way back there are Arabian lines in almost every recognized breed of horse out there. Arabians have a lot of positive things to offer other breeds endurance, lighter build, flowing gates, refined looks, intelligence. They also have their negatives to contribute as do any breed. I'd hardly say this boy is an arabian cross, he is simply showing Halter Bred features (and quite nicely I might add). Though his eye does reflect appy characteristics he really has the best of both worlds beautiful and exotic appy markings with the conformation of a halter QH.

Anyhow just for a laugh I thought I'd post a pic my girlfriend with what is in her opinion "The most beautiful appy in the world ever!!!" She and her first horse Topper who was an Appy/TB. From what I hear he was one heck of a jumper as well.
Last edited by aylaschamp on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:50 am

Whether good or bad, it seems to me that appaloosas are becoming a color variation of the QH.

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:08 pm

slistoe wrote:Whether good or bad, it seems to me that appaloosas are becoming a color variation of the QH.
Its actually the other way around with Quarter colors becoming the norm in Apps. I shoot thousands of horses a year at major shows and if you were at the World show in Ft Worth as an example and watched a Hunter under saddle class depending on the entries the class might consist of say 10 horses.

They might all be Bay with black socks manes and tail which virtually leave then undistinguishable from a Quarter. Reason being that so many Quarters have now been bred into Apps.

Most of the real good show stock pleasure horse apps have full tails and manes. You see a lot of short tail apps with mohawk manes in gaming classes.

Anyway the App people are actually divided on this whole approach although the people who have opened up the breed to using Quarters has taken a larger foothold in the breed and basically won out.

It actually makes a horse like the one above who I can't find much fault with.

Tim :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:08 pm

Appaloosas are part of many breeds just like palaminos or pinto and paints. Thats what happens when you have a registry for a color or pattern. Not sure if it is a smart thing to do or not.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:12 pm

I agree that he's a beautiful horse, but for me, if I take the appy blanket out of the picture--I see mostly today's quarter horse. He doesn't remind me of the appys I remember growing up, but that was a few decades ago, and I remember rattails, higher head carriages, no where near such a sculpted head, larger hooves. That being said, I haven't really followed appys in years, and by his wins this must be what today's appy looks like...or what's wanted in the show ring. To each their own and he is pretty. Denise

On a side note...again JMO opinion, but I really can't wait until that every-stock horse-dragging-it's-nose-on-the-ground show trend is gone. And maybe it never will be.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 pm

aylaschamp wrote:Beautiful horse! He has lost most of the signature appy traits that make the breed stand out from others. again, he's a fine specimen of a horse.

Today's Appys are far from what they once were. Typical and typie appys are what my girlfriend has long loved the rat tails, no mane, no forelock but strong stout build. Truthfully the uglier the appy the more she loves them (for once we agree on what a beautiful appy is) . In the recent years appys have been crossed more with QH and TB lines to improve on their looks. I really can't say that I blame them for the crossing as Appys for years now have fought against color prejudice and it did them no justice to be lacking in what most horses had in surplus (Manes, tails, and reducing what is commonly referred to as the "Pig Eye" effect). Looking at that pretty boy you can see the QH lines in him, the obvious mane, tail and forelock but also his petite ears and very typie QH head and face. Looking at any horse that is showing strong QH halter looks true conformation QH's they are going to resemble slightly an Arab head with a soft dish and a more pronounced crest. Its also true that way back there are Arabian lines in almost every recognized breed of horse out there. Arabians have a lot of positive things to offer other breeds endurance, lighter build, flowing gates, refined looks, intelligence. They also have their negatives to contribute as do any breed. I'd hardly say this boy is an arabian cross, he is simply showing Halter Bred features (and quite nicely I might add). Though his eye does reflect appy characteristics he really has the best of both worlds beautiful and exotic appy markings with the conformation of a halter QH.

Anyhow just for a laugh I thought I'd post a pic my girlfriend with what is in her opinion "The most beautiful appy in the world ever!!!" She and her first horse Topper who was an Appy/TB. From what I hear he was one heck of a jumper as well.
My original post got miss posted and almost all of what I posted originally was lost or edited. Here is what I meant to say.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Love your photo aylaschamp. Reminds me what it was like to be a kid with a horse--always riding bareback, always scheming and dreaming about horses, and never happier. With her riding with that huge smile, he DOES look like the most beautiful appy in the world. Denise

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Appaloosas are part of many breeds just like palaminos or pinto and paints. Thats what happens when you have a registry for a color or pattern. Not sure if it is a smart thing to do or not.

Ezzy
Just to preface this and get Jason (Aylaschamp) off the hook... This is his girlfriend Laurie. I am an avid not only horse lover but Appy lover, this is a breed of horse that has proven to have unique markings but also unparallelled versatility. Your comment about them being a color or pattern rather than a breed seems a bit uninformed to me. Appys were first recognized in the 1700's and cultivated as a breed by the Nez Perce Indiana in North America which is why the Appys are so widely recognized with the North American Indian culture. The American Quarter Horse was not a recognized breed until the 1800's. Perhaps the Appy markings were selected to not be an accepted part of the AQHA lines???
Famous explorer Meriwether Lewis was appropriately impressed with the breeding accomplishments of the Nez Perce, as noted in his diary entry from February 15, 1806.

Their horses appear to be of an excellent race; they are lofty, elegantly [sic] formed, active and durable…some of these horses are pided with large spots of white irregularly scattered and intermixed with black, brown, bey [sic] or some other dark color.

It is unknown how many of the Nez Perce’s horses were spotted, but a possible estimate is ten percent. Settlers coming into the area began to refer to these spotted horses as “A Palouse Horse”, as a reference to the Palouse River, which runs through Northern Idaho. Over time, the name evolved into “Palousey,” “Appalousey,” and finally “Appaloosa.”

In the mid-1800s, settlers flooded onto the Nez Perce reservation, and conflicts soon ensued. The Nez Perce War of 1877 resulted in their herds being dispersed.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, interest in the breed gradually began to grow as Appaloosas began appearing in Western roundups and rodeos.

The Appaloosa’s flashy coat patterns caught the eye of the public, and in 1937 an article in Western Horseman entitled “The Appaloosa, or Palouse Horse” revealed a widespread interest in the breed.

With the goal of preserving and improving the Appaloosa breed, the Appaloosa Horse Club was chartered in 1938. From those first few enthusiasts, the Club has grown into one of the leading equine breed registries in the world.

On March 25, 1975 Idaho Governor Cecil Andrus signed a bill naming the Appaloosa as the state horse. This is a deserving honor for a horse that has been an integral part of Idaho history.

Today, the beautiful spotted horse is one of the most beloved of American horse breeds and can be found throughout the world, excelling in disciplines including western pleasure, games, working cow horse and dressage. Appaloosas are prized for their easy-going dispositions and their reliability as family horses.

Oh and Denise, thank you very much. Topper really was quite special, we had many great times I quite often fondly look back at good times and that big grin comes back to me. He was truly as unique as his markings. I will always love the rat tailed, fuzzy forelocked, pig eyed and mohawked appys because they remind me of my childhood. This boy we are all talking about is jawdropping! Not only does he have unique coloring but he is near perfect in looks. I have to admit I am thrilled to see appys whooping up on QH's so many times Topper and I were over looked because of his appy traits. Feels like a little bit of justice to see appys taking their rightful place on top again!

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:56 pm

I should clarify one thing here also.

He is a great App without question. Quarter people would lean on the fact that he has a lot quarter blood in him. Including Zippo Pine Bar which might be the greatest Quarter horse of all time.

The other thing to take into mind is this. If you show horses at the level this horse competes at there is money on the line. You can take an Appaloosa and win numerous World Championships among other accolades and the fact of the matter is he might be worth $50,000.00 maybe? That is huge money for an Appaloosa.

You take a Quarter into the pen at the Congress and win a World Championship the horse will be worth several hundred thousand and in some cases much higher than that. Bottom line is the playing field is no where near level. Many a top pro has migrated form Apps, Paints etc to give AQHA a go and has failed miserably even with a big bank acct behind them. And yes, like anything else politics play a game in it also.

AQHA is a different game altogether and the fact this guy has gone against those horses and done so well is what makes him great.

He has done a great amount for the breed in general and his owner Noelle Schmidt has taken great effort in taking him to the level he has reached which has been a key factor along with what I consider to be one of the finest trainers in the entire equine business Pat Heeley.

Tim :D

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Just to show an example..........

This is an Appaloosa

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:00 pm

And so is this horse also............

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:29 pm

I don't have anything to add to the conversation, being a new first time horse owner. But I do think it's at least an opportunity to post a picture of my appaloosa, Buck. I just got him, I got what I think is his father's pedigree and that is an AQHA pedigree. I don't know if Buck is a real appaloosa, an appaloosa mix, or just a cool looking horse. And I don't care (though his appaloosa-like spots are what first drew me to him and I will certainly call him an appaloosa unless I get clear evidence to the contrary).

Anyway, here's Buck!

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:57 pm

EddieF wrote:I don't have anything to add to the conversation, being a new first time horse owner. But I do think it's at least an opportunity to post a picture of my appaloosa, Buck. I just got him, I got what I think is his father's pedigree and that is an AQHA pedigree. I don't know if Buck is a real appaloosa, an appaloosa mix, or just a cool looking horse. And I don't care (though his appaloosa-like spots are what first drew me to him and I will certainly call him an appaloosa unless I get clear evidence to the contrary).

Anyway, here's Buck!

Nice looking fella. Spots are called a blanket and that boy has a dorsal stripe which technically makes his color Buckskin Dun.

Tim

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks Tim! I thought the dorsal stripe was pretty neat, took a better picture of it here. Sure will make it easy to make sure that saddle's on straight!

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 pm

EddieF wrote:Thanks Tim! I thought the dorsal stripe was pretty neat, took a better picture of it here. Sure will make it easy to make sure that saddle's on straight!

No problem Eddie........

Have fun with him and be safe!

Tim 8)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Sometime in the 40's we had one of our ponies throw an Appaloosa foal. First one that I had ever seen and no one else had seen one either but then someone said they had read about some Indian Ponies that were supposed to have those markings . Doing some research at that time trying to find some information on the history all I could find was more legend than fact but supposedly the appaloosa marked ponies were supposed to be superior to other ponies with more stamina than the rest. It was also noted that rarely there would be a mustang spotted that had the blanket at that time. We sold the colt for a hefty sum as a yearling and I have no idea what happened to him after that. It was years later that I saw any other Appy and it was then that I remember hearing more about them. And within a few years we begin to see them occasionally and I believe the POA became a breed that has become popular today. We even have a few Appaloosa mules around now. But it seems to me that most have become a color or marking in another breed around here. I still think the blanketed ones are pretty but have never been real fond of the leopard pattern.

Sure do like the ones we have had pictures of and to me most of them look pretty much QH breeding but I haven't followed the for years. The several buckskins are beautiful and strangely that is not a color I have seen very often.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:06 pm

TimSchoenborn wrote:Well you will never see a head or a front leg like this on an Arab 8)

All kidding aside, he is an awesome horse. I not only know the owner very well obviously but the trainer who has taken him to the top too. They are both very good clients of mine.

This horse went into the AQHA world and literally put the smack down. Not only at The Reichert Celebration, but also the NSBA World Show along at the Tom Powers.

He is a freak to say the least.........

And best of all he has a brain.

I'll preface this and say I know relatively little about Appaloosas. There's been some I'd have loved to buy and hope to someday, though.

It's Chocolaty, right? When I saw that first head shot of him in the Gen Chat forum... WOW. He is breathtakingly stunning. His ears, ears, muzzle, forelock... okay everything about him seemed to say Personality AND Good Looks. (Can't beat that in a guy, huh. :D) I have to say that I love the "modern" Appaloosas. On the one hand the stock-horse conformation and on the other end, the warmblood or TB crosses. Funny, I hate designer dogs, but man, I'd take a sane healthy Appy/TB or Appy/QH in a heartbeat.

Lucky You for getting to experience first-hand such high quality animals!

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Beth, Those Appys of yours are lookin' good too :D Love the stud colt.
Last edited by rockllews on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry for all the Buck pictures, but the previous owner just passed along a couple baby pictures. Here he is wearing a ridiculous sweater...

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:17 am

That's pretty neat that you've got foal pics of your guy. So has he only ever had the one owner who had him before you?

Goofy pic, by the way :D Wonder how long it took them to get it on him.... And can you imagine him walking in it for the first time? I'm picturing our dogs when they first experience dog boots :lol: They look like drunk clowns. (Or maybe he took it all in stride....)

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 am

rockllews wrote:That's pretty neat that you've got foal pics of your guy. So has he only ever had the one owner who had him before you?

Goofy pic, by the way :D Wonder how long it took them to get it on him.... And can you imagine him walking in it for the first time? I'm picturing our dogs when they first experience dog boots :lol: They look like drunk clowns. (Or maybe he took it all in stride....)
I think there was an owner before the girl who had him before me. Here's the other picture I have. It is neat to have them.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 pm

Eddie
I would say more than likly that you boy was born pretty early in the year as a lot of show people breed for Jan. and Feb foals. Even with my foals in April and May they do get a blanket (looks like a horse blanket but much smaller) on them offten as it is still pretty cold and a foal can't regulate their temps. So they were just trying to keep him warm.
Beth

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 am

sorry to hijack this thread. But how old would you say he is in those foal pictures?

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:00 am

EddieF wrote:sorry to hijack this thread. But how old would you say he is in those foal pictures?
A month or less...................

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 am

I would say even less than a week old. It doesn't take long at all for the muscles to form and them to fill out a bit. I would put him at just a few days old in those pictures. They sure are cute.
Beth