Mares

Razor

Mares

Post by Razor » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:27 am

I am curious to see how many people on this board ride mares? If you do tell us what you like and don't like!

lightonthebay

Re: Mares

Post by lightonthebay » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:37 am

I ride both (mares-stallions) and geldings. I have no particular preference you must expect the likely problems of your choice but I haven't experienced any I couldn't overcome with frequent riding. Most, if not all, interaction problems with horses can be overcome with frequent riding, however, if you want a safer bet a gelding will eliminate more, but not all, of the problems of sexual drive. I have a gelding that still claims and covers my mares. He was cut at 7 years of age.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:16 pm

I own three mares & two geldings. I currently trial on both geldings and one of the mares, but will probably have another mare ready by next fall. Quite frankly I don't have a major prejudice either way, (though I did in the past) , and I have to admit my current favorite trial and pleasure riding horse is my 9 yr old mare. They are all Walkers, heavily Midnight Sun breeding, including a grandson, and all are at least great grand get.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 pm

My daughter rides a Dutch Warmblood mare and she never acts up even when in season. she also has an Arabian mare that acts up all the time.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:42 pm

The very best horse I ever owned was a mare. She had no faults and was very flashy, many people would comment on her even years after I quit riding her. I presently ride a mare that is good but acts bossy in the pasture. I know geldings are more popular but I always decide on the individual not the sex.I have had some geldings that I was glad to get rid of.

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:09 pm

My favs are MARES....there is nothing that beats a little bit of "attitude" from a mare. I've found that geldings tend to be lazy, although my husband has a gelding that is far from lazy and is a go all dayer. My first horse an Appy cross was a mare and by far the smartest horse I've ever had. My first Foxtrotter was a mare and she is the best horse that no money can afford to buy. She is one that is a great babysitter for beginners or little kids. Mares ROCK!!! :D 8)