Wranglers, Events and Insurance

fuzznut

Wranglers, Events and Insurance

Post by fuzznut » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:51 am

for any of you who run events, mainly national events where you bring in a wrangler and rent horses.... do you require your wrangler to have their own insurance?

If not, does your club cover them in some way?

Our club is discussing this issue, and not sure how it's handled around the country with other national clubs.

Also, when you bring in a wrangler, I assume you guarantee them a certain amount of money, or your club has to rent x amount of horses per day for the event. How do you handle renting handler and or gallery horses? Does your club collect the money, the wrangler.... whose money is that? How do you handle that between the club and the wrangler?

Thanks!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

remmy

Re: Wranglers, Events and Insurance

Post by remmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 am

The wrangler gets a flat fee for the trial, plus you have to have a certain amount of horses paid for...usually a club horse for bird planting and judges. Four club horses are the norm around here. Any other horses rented and all above fees go to the wrangler. The wrangler gets all of the money...the club does not get involved. All people looking to rent a horse deal directly with the wrangler.

I'm not too sure about the insurance. I know the club and grounds owner are waived from liability in most cases like the Setter Club. I don't know if the wrangler falls into that category.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Brittguy

Re: Wranglers, Events and Insurance

Post by Brittguy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:24 pm

This information is for the regional trials that my club runs.
I have never asked wrangler if he has insurance, I'm sure he does because he has been sued. In Ohio there is some type of law stating that people in horse business are not liable you ride at your risk, I'm not sure how the law is worded.Anyone wanting a horse deals directely with the wrangler . The club has nothing to do with rental. The club has to rent 6 horses a day. We usually pay for horses that are never used and pay judges for using their own horses.The club does have insurance to cover workers and judges that might be injured during trial. The judges are also covered while traveling to and from the trial