Horse training / educational videos?

daddyfid

Horse training / educational videos?

Post by daddyfid » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:42 pm

What is the best horse training and educational video's to buy for a beginner?

Thanks,
Brian

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Horse training / educational videos?

Post by Karen » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:53 am

I like Clinton Anderson's approach to training/riding, but nothing beats hands on with a good instructor.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:31 am

I agree with Karen. Clinton Anderson is easy to learn from. His lessons truly build upon the prior lesson.

Less flash and marketing then some others.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:49 pm

There are a so many different trainers with programs, just like with dogs. Some you'll feel in sync with, some you won't. Try watching RFD TV if your satellite or cable company offers it; several different trainers have shows so you can get an idea of each.
For general gaited horse information Brenda Imus' Gaits From God dvd set is really good.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 am

I'll second the suggestion of watching RFDtv. Most of the [western] trainers have similar techniques and theories. Just like with dogs, hands-on learning from an experienced horseman would be optimal for learning. I've gained more knowledge from my riding instructor/mentor and my horse trainer than from non-intereactive video programs. But watching the [free] programs on RFD does give a nice supplement for the info you'd be learning with a horseman.

The only video set I have is the Parelli...whichever was the first level. I haven't even watched all six/seven of the DVDs after about four years, yet I think it was some $500-600??? I can't even remember but it cost way too much. I do however use (and like) the halter, lead, and training stick/whip :roll: but you can get those anywhere without that high of a price tag. :D