Harvested animals out of the woods

daddyfid

Harvested animals out of the woods

Post by daddyfid » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:49 am

Just curious how you get your deer or elk out of the mountains/woods on horseback. I have read about many different methods but would like to know what methods you use.

Pics would be great.

Flush

Re: Harvested animals out of the woods

Post by Flush » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:22 am

I don't have any pics handy, but I quarter up my elk and use canvas panniers that fit over a normal riding saddle. A true pack-saddle setup would work better but my "poorman" setup works out ok for me and is cheaper. One nice thing about the "slip over" panniers I use is that you can ride in on the saddle with the panniers rolled up, and then "pack-out" walking your horse. The quarters of an elk alone weigh about 200lbs. With the lower legs removed I can fit all 4 quarters in one set of pannier and thats a pretty good load for one horse, and thats before you add the head/antlers and any other gear you may have.

For shorter "in a pinch" times I have just thrown quarters or "pieces" on the saddle and lashed them down. Not pretty, but better than carrying them. I've seen plenty of folks throw deer over the saddle and tie them down, but have never done that myself. Some of our big Mulie bucks out here would be a bit too big for that.

-Flush

wchua24

Re: Harvested animals out of the woods

Post by wchua24 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:46 am

i agree with flush just said.