Paso Fino's??

Razor

Paso Fino's??

Post by Razor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Have you guys and gals ever seen these horses at field trials? Im am really thinking about buying one. This little gelding has an amazing gate, but he is only 14 hands and about 950 pounds. I guess I am wondering what type of endurance they have compared to a TWH, or MFT. Thanks

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Paso Fino's??

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 am

There's a thread halfway down the page about Pasos:

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 02&t=13975
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm

That's pretty chubby for a 14h paso! My boy is 14h and weighs 750. My girls are 14.2 and 15h and weigh 850 and 875.

Endurance is no problem, they are tough little horses, but if you weigh more than about 170, you might want to consider a bigger horse.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:09 am

I would also take into consideration of how experienced a rider you are. Paso Fino's tend to be a bit "hotter" and therefore harder to handle. I've found they also aren't quite as level headed when something occurs as some of the other breeds.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:33 pm

but if you weigh more than about 170
Depends on how hard and how often you plan on riding this Paso. My hubbie is pushing 250 and our little PF mare packs him around no problem at weekend trials and also during Championships ( we took her to the ABC Gun Dog NAt'l last year and she gave Brian a great ride, with all day endurance for the entire week, out gaiting ALL of the TWH's at the end of each day) And yes...they tend to run a tad "hotter" in temperament and depending onteh hrose may require more experience in horsemanship skills too.

If you were to make your living riding a horse though and asking for everyday performance THEN you would probably want a bigger taller horse. Bear in mind also that PFS come as tall as 15-1 15-2 hands. If you are serious aboutr buying a horse take and experienced horse person with you before you purchase.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Now I know I'll take some heat for posting this, but it's just my opinion.

I just returned from Ardath Saskatchewan for the Ardath Fall Trial and the Ogilvie Shooting Dog Classic. By GPS we travelled a little over 54 miles in the two days, but entries were down from previous years, and in years past the trial may well have covered over 80 miles.

During this year's running there was a Paso Fino gelding in the gallery. His owner borrowed a Walker every time he ran his dog or scouted for someone during the All Age stake on the first day.

I watched the Paso carefully, and while he kept up with the Gallery quite well,in spite of carrying a large (over 200 lb) male rider, I noticed that the Paso was in a rack type gait while the Walkers were still at a brisk flat foot walk. As a result the Paso was quite heated at the end of several hours and covered in foam, while my Walker was still relatively dry.

Now I probably haven't too much experience with this breed, but I am given to understand that many will not lope or gallop. True or not, I find it necessary in handling or judging to run my horse to a point, or chase down a dog that is off course and get him back to the front. I use every gait my horses are capable of. These would be walk, running walk, rack, lope, and gallop.

To me the Paso is like a car with a transmission that's missing a couple of gears.

Probably for riding in the gallery, or handling shooting dogs in single course trials they would work out just fine. However for scouting handling or judging continuous course trials, particularly in all age stakes, I would stick to one of the larger breeds.