Ivomec ?

ckirsch

Re: Ivomec ?

Post by ckirsch » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:10 pm

I want to make sure I didn't miss anything on this post. I looked at TSC today and the only Ivomec they had was a 0.27% sterile solution for grower and feeder pigs. Recommended dosage for swine is 2.5 ml for a 50-pound pig. What really caught my eye is the warning that it is approved for swine and foxes only, and can result in fatalities in dogs. This obviously is not the same product the rest of you are using. Can somebody set me straight?

Thanks...

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Yes it is the same thing. There is a .27% and a 1% solution. If you read back through this thread someone talks about why it has to be injected into certain kind of animals.

I use .27% injectible for grower and feeder pigs. I use the .27% solution because you do not have to dilute it (Im not that you have to dilute the 1%, i just know alot of people do), it is easier to measure because I am giving 1 1/2 - 2 cc instead of trying to measure out 1/4 or 1/8 cc.

It is not labeled for use in dogs, but as you can tell by this thread everyone uses it and it works. It should not be used in collies, collie crosses, and a couple other breeds.

Horbie

Post by Horbie » Fri May 14, 2010 4:05 am

Could anybody tell me if its alright to give a 6 week old pup Ivomec or when the proper age and weight to start him on it would be? I read all 7 pages of posts looking for this answer, and only found a few that slightly hint towards pups. but I want to be perfectly clear. thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 14, 2010 6:59 am

I start my pups at 6 weeks old I give them 1/10th cc then 4 weeks later 2/10th cc 3 months 3/10thcc then average out weights from there if they are getting bigger or averaging the same weight

I just squirt on top of a good spoon full of canned dog food

as for measuring...That is easy with the smaller 3cc needles as the 1/10th cc are lined out

I also leave in the frig as for drawing out just get a larger needle draws easy even when cold
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

o__o

Post by o__o » Mon May 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks for the most informative thread on this subject I could find. I have a syringe of IVERMECTIN paste 1.87% and I wish to administer it to two dogs for heartworm prevention, one is 45 pounds the other is 15 pounds (Fox Terrier). According to Heartgard for a 45 lb dog, they require 122 micrograms, and the 15 pound dog requires 40 micrograms.

A tube of this 1.87% paste contains enough for a 1250 pound horse at a dosage of 91 micrograms per pound. That gives me 113750 micrograms of IVERMECTIN in this 6.08 gram tube.

I am expecting to extract the entire product and dilute it down probably about 19:1 to arrive at a workable product that I can safely administer. Propylene Glycol has been suggested to use as the dilution liquid, and has the advantage of changing the paste into a liquid.

Should I dilute the paste by weight or by volume?

Any other suggestions for dilution liquid?