1st time post--- Intro and would like your advice.

GSP 4 me

1st time post--- Intro and would like your advice.

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:28 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on your forum and I look forward to getting to know you over time. Here's my story.

My wife and I were looking for a puppy off and on over the course of a year and we had different ideas for a breed....her biggest issue... "no long haired dogs". I always wanted a sporting dog as I like to hunt birds but I was pretty much limited to dove season since a dog really isn't necessary. I decided a GSP was a great all purpose dog and it certainly qualified as a short haired breed.

Last December I was searching breeders and local animal shelters online and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what looked like a pure breed white and liver male GSP that was approximately 2-yrs-old. Then I was floored to see dog's name "Mustang". It was destiny...I love Fords and own five Mustangs myself....this was too much of a coincidence!

My wife and I went to the shelter the very next day and after much thought we decided to take him home. He was handsome, ball oriented, slightly underweight and just recovering from kennel cough.

After about two weeks of taking Mustang home I couldn't resist taking him to the local skeet shooting range to determine if he was gun shy. I was so nervous...after all, this was going to determine if I even had a chance to hunt with the dog. I took him to the outskirts of the parking lot and waited for the shotguns to go off...pop...pop...he didn't flinch a bit, YES!!!!!!!!!!! . I slowly got up closer to the shooters and he acted like a pro. Some of the guys there said I hit the lottery with this pound dog.

I already knew he was birdie as my daily walks showed he had much interest in the city pigeons where I live. But I still didn't know how good his nose was at locating birds and coming to a point. A co-worker mentioned visiting a bird club and getting him evaluated with some planted Chukar.

Mustang's first experience out in the field showed he had lots of potential. No gunshyness,,,,very birdie,,,and endless amounts of energy, but he needed proper training and focus. I was given the name to a bird dog trainer and left with the hopes of a future hunting companion.

After several months of getting to know the dog, taking a general obedience training course and having some issues with trying to keep weight on him, I finally had the opportunity to visit with the bird dog trainer. Based on the trainer's evaluation, he thinks we should go with an Electronic-collar. The dog responded very well to the e-collar demo we did and the trainer thinks I might even have a shot at getting him out this season since Mustang appears to be a quick learner. The plan is to get him trained later this summer when it cools off more and for me to do some backyard training in the meantime.

One question on my mind is whether I should take him dove hunting with me this Sept. The trainer is a bit reluctant as this type of hunting really isn't well suited for an eager GSP. The dog wants to be running and not waiting beside me for a bird to fly by so he thinks I may be in for more frustration than anything else.

Do you guys hunt dove with your GSP's? What do you think? Is it possible for me to do some training with the dog in preparation for the dove hunt that won't be a detriment to the training he'll get later?

thanks,
Gene & Mustang

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:47 am

Here is what I have learned. Doves are not a good bird to introduce a dog to hunting/retrieving. The feathers pull out of the bird very easily and stick to the dogs mouth. Also, their size makes it too easy for the dog to chomp or even swallow the bird. I have seen it recommended that you wait until the dog is force fetched if you go that route. Or at least wait until it has retrieved other game birds or developed good mouth habits.

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:53 am

Welcome to GDF, I agree doves can definately leave a bad taste (lots of feathers) in a dogs mouth

Danro

Post by Danro » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:32 am

That is exactly what I was thinking. The feathers in doves get all inside the dogs mouths if they don't know how to carry them from experience. It's a really nasty situation. You could take him with you I'd think, but just for experience around the gun and rapid shooting, not on retrieves just yet.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks for your input gentlemen. So far Mustang has only had experience mouthing chukar and some pheasant wings. He hasn't chomped on a bird yet (looks like he has a soft mouth). I guess I'll have to see how he does with time.

I know what you mean about the feathers. I've plucked my fair shair of doves before and those young birds have lots of pin feathers that could be no fun for an inexperienced dog.

I remember one guy we dove hunted with many years ago used a German Wire Haired Pointer and the dog seemed to enjoy what he was doing. The dog appeared to be an old timer so I'm sure he knew how to mouth the birds properly.

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:53 am

welcome aboard!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:06 am

Welcome, glad to have ya!
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: 1st time post--- Intro and would like your advice.

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:40 am

GSP 4 me wrote:After about two weeks of taking Mustang home I couldn't resist taking him to the local skeet shooting range to determine if he was gun shy. I was so nervous...after all, this was going to determine if I even had a chance to hunt with the dog. I took him to the outskirts of the parking lot and waited for the shotguns to go off...pop...pop...he didn't flinch a bit, YES!!!!!!!!!!! . I slowly got up closer to the shooters and he acted like a pro.
First, welcome to GDF.

Second, I know that some people get away with this, but I think it's far more likely to create a gun-shy dog that otherwise.

FWIW, Greg J.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:50 pm

nice to have ya. good luck with mustang.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi Greg,

I know exactly what you mean, I got very lucky. I live in a busy city with lots of noise. During the two weeks prior to my visit to the range I noticed Mustang actually wanted to move closer to loud noises rather than move away. This was the main reason I even considered taking hime to the range. I had a hunch he would be fine and sure enough it all went well.

Thaks to all that have responded.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:15 pm

Welcome to the Gun Dog Forum. I would follow the advise of your trainer. Good luck

tedcankat

Post by tedcankat » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Nice looking dog welcome!!

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:55 am

I think others really should consider Greg's warning. Saw a young GSP from hunting/trial background messed up by someone taking it to a shooting preserve with lots of shooting going on last fall. Just not worth it...introduce 'em gradually to the gun!

Dove hunting involves a lot of shooting with the dog close by, and if you hunt with others in the area it can be quite imposing to a dog not familiar with it.

I would want to see a dog comfortable with being shot over--just me or me and another person at most--for awhile before trying dove hunting.

Or if you have a dog that goes crazy at gunshots, wanting to find the bird it thinks must be around....high volume shooting such as dove hunting can be a problem until the dog has some experience and manners under it's belt.

GSP 4 me

A Great Day

Post by GSP 4 me » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:40 pm

Mustang did pretty well for his first Dove hunt. It was hotter than blazes and the flies were out in droves, but I still managed to bag a limit. The dog did very well with retreives in which he was able to see the bird fall ( I had to help him with the others by leading him to the area of the dropped bird). He picked up the doves and brought them to me like a veteran. No chomped or eaten birds, but he did get a few feathers stuck to his mouth here and there.

Trying to keep him close to me while we waited for the birds to come in was difficult at times as he has one heck of a motor.

Keeping him well hydrated and in the shade was also a necessity as it got to 105 degrees on opening day.

He's one very tired dog right now and I'm very proud of him. He's solid proof that a rescue dog can be a great hunting companion.

:lol:

GL

Post by GL » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:41 am

What causes this thread to be blown out so wide I have to scroll back and forth to read what is written?

I see it once in a while and want to know so I don't do it.

Is it in a setting or something to do with the addition of photos too large to fit the standard screen size?

I don't know about the rest but I find it a real PITA when it does not fit the size of the standard screen.

Welcome to the board, nice looking dog and it sounds as though you are having some fun.

No offense is meant here but maybe some of us who are new can learn if there is a way to keep the text inside our screen size.

Gary

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:09 am

Welcome to GDF!! Great looking dog.

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD