New hunter from WA

Trrrroy

New hunter from WA

Post by Trrrroy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:10 am

I somehow just talked my wife into letting me put down a deposit on a GWP so decided to join the forum to hopefully get some guidance and learn as much as I can before the pup gets here. I've hunted big game my entire life, but this will be my first foray into dogs and upland birds.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: New hunter from WA

Post by slistoe » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:16 am

You won't regret it.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:37 am

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you post pictures of your pup when you get it. :D

Trrrroy

Post by Trrrroy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:37 pm

Will do! It's going to be a little bit of a wait, I'm on the list for a spring litter.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm

Trrrroy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:37 pm
Will do! It's going to be a little bit of a wait, I'm on the list for a spring litter.
Presuming you're dealing with a high-quality breeder, you should definitely rely on him for direction as well. You are never alone-- dogwise, at least -- when you buy a pup from such a breeder.

Trrrroy

Post by Trrrroy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm
Trrrroy wrote:
Presuming you're dealing with a high-quality breeder, you should definitely rely on him for direction as well. You are never alone-- dogwise, at least -- when you buy a pup from such a breeder.
Yeah, I did a lot of research before picking my breeder. Seems like a great guy with great dogs. My one qualm is that he's like an 10 hour drive away. Looked for someone more local but couldn't find anybody I liked. Honestly it was kind of hard to get a lot of them to communicate with me. I got the sense they were a bit wary of me being a complete newbie with a very young family.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:44 am

Welcome to the forum. What part of WA do you reside in? I own a 2 yo female GWP. She is a great hunter, both upland and waterfowl, and a good family dog. Here in Southeastern Idaho the GWP's, Griffons and Pudelpointers are really catching on due to their versatility and heavier coats that benefit them for the cold, wet, windy weather we get late season. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:33 am

Trrrroy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 pm
Steve007 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm
Trrrroy wrote:
Yeah, I did a lot of research before picking my breeder. Seems like a great guy with great dogs. My one qualm is that he's like an 10 hour drive away. Looked for someone more local but couldn't find anybody I liked. Honestly it was kind of hard to get a lot of them to communicate with me. I got the sense they were a bit wary of me being a complete newbie with a very young family.
Don't worry. You did the right thing. I suspect that most of us can tell you stories of driving extremely long distances to see or obtain a dog. A good breeder is a solid support system and will give you a great deal of assistance throughout the life of the dog. In fairness to the local people, they probably get lot of tire kickers and while a wirehair is a terrific breed (I have had two including my current dog), they are big and bumptious and can sometimes knock over a little kid by accident. Kids need to be trained as well to be good with dogs as well, though I'm sure you know that.

If you are not reading about bird dogs or socializing puppies or training, you should. Beyond the fact that you will accumulate knowledge, it will keep you highly motivated until your new pup arrives and you will be better able to answer your wife's questions, too!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forum. I always send new members a welcome PM explaining the 5 post approval requirements; could you tell me if you got that PM? I'm starting to wonder if members are getting that PM. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trrrroy

Post by Trrrroy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:36 pm

Yep I got it. Sorry, just didn't reply.