Motivator for exercise, 7 month old pup

Baileysmom

Motivator for exercise, 7 month old pup

Post by Baileysmom » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:29 am

Hi all, new here, have a 7 month old Brittany, brought home 2 months ago. Have had dogs lifelong, came up in a house that used to foster, mostly retrievers and German shepherds. Have owned mostly field trial Labs, but had one Brittany in the past. We got her young 7 weeks, (husband's dog), she went around with my retriever and myself and loved to swim and play fetch on the sad days she was left home with me. This new Brittany was kept in a garage with littermates to age 5 months with no training. He's doing pretty good with some basic commands, leaving things alone in the house, seems to take his lead from my resident 8 year old female Lab/Belgian Shepherd mix.

The question, what will interest him, motivate him to get more exercise, learn more commands? Husband got sick right after bringing him home, now just works a couple days a week. It's not going to be like the last Brittany that was "his", with him all the time, going to work with him. Not sure what to do with this kid. He was loving just running around off lead in fenced area at nights, chasing soccer ball with me and resident dog every night. Then just started to prefer to lay around and eat weeds. I take him out alone and try to get him to retrieve the ball, (great opportunity to mix in, reinforce the sit, stay, bring, drop, give commands). He'll do a few rounds, get bored, wonder off and lay down chew what ever he can find. Got him a frisbee, same thing a few retrieves and he's done. Can't keep his attention for exercise or training. He seems happy, but I'm worried he's not getting enough exercise or stimulation. It thought Brittanys were high energy dogs that needed this like the high intensity, high drive retrievers I'm used too? Is he maybe just too young? He's very calm, sweet, laid back, which is a new thing for me, my last Lab bugged me to death, all about the ball, right up to her sudden illness and death last winter. I love this little boy to pieces already, just worry I'm not doing the right breed specific things to engage him? He's not at all like the "typical" breed profiles I'm finding, reading. Thanks!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Motivator for exercise, 7 month old pup

Post by cjhills » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:41 am

Depression.......Cj

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:44 am

If your husband just works a couple of days a week, what's preventing him from putting in three five-minute cheerful and positive obedience sessions per day with a seven-month-old dog? Assuming the dog is healthy, of course, which is worth checking on, and that the weather is cool enough.

Baileysmom

Post by Baileysmom » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:41 am

I found something that makes him really happy. Swimming! I wondered if he was missing his littermate, or maybe he didn't like playing in the sudden heat, or just not used to any attention or doing anything from being in that garage all day his 1st 5 months before we took him, or maybe just young. I think he's just a calm, laid back dog, something I'm not used too after decades of hyper female Labs. Took him to the Vet, who said he's perfect, and going to be a really good dog. Are males less nuts? We've fostered grown males in the past, but he's oddly our 1st male pup ever. Guess I'll just have to get used to having a calm dog. LOL

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:09 pm

Not sure if I can help but I'll try. I got my current female Brittany at 6 months of age. She had spent her first 6 months in an outdoor kennel with other dogs. The breeder did a little work with her but not much. She didn't even have a name. So at 6 months she really didn't know anything and was getting a late start at life. In the beginning my wife would say that this dog had to be the dumbest dog ever. We kept working with her on the basics and she started to come along. At a year old she spent about 4-6 weeks with a trainer and really started to develop. As my wife today and she thinks she is the smartest dog we've ever had. She is now 6 years old. Your pup probably got a late start just like mine. Give him some time and keep working on the basics. But as far as energy I don't know what to tell you. My dog had energy to burn and loved to run in the field but was, and still is, very laid back in the house. Good luck with your pup and I'm sure he will come around in time. Especially if he is out of some good breeding.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:13 pm

I'm glad you found out that he likes to swim. That's a good exercise for him, especially in hot weather. I've had a lot of britts and they have ALL been high energy dogs--I think you just have a layed back calm one :D I haven't had much energy difference between my males & females. Good luck with the pup, :D

Baileysmom

Post by Baileysmom » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:31 am

Thank you so much Dakotazeb and Deseeker, boy does that make me feel better. Was feeling pretty out of my element, between him being a Brittany, a male, and so old without any human interactions. Our last little Brittany was a female, she was fairly rowdy, busy, DH owned an auto shop so he took her to work with him most days, she loved all the guys there, loved riding in his truck all the places, then got to go with him to some timber he owned and run free after work, so my involvement with her was just basic house rules, grooming, and comfort. It was so cute, she was such a "Daddy's girl". She died young, only 7 years old, a brain tumor. I never forgot her, always had a soft spot for Brittanys. It's great to hear such a similar situation with yours turned out so good. I'll definitely keep working with the sweet boy. Some new words he learns super quick, some things he gives me a blank look and lays down. ? I started doing the "watch me" command 1st, and that is making a big difference in his attention leaning a new command with the eye contact. :) I can't wait to take him swimming tonight. I'd poured a pad for a little pool I bought for my Lab last season in the new place we moved too since she'd always had a pool everywhere she'd lived. It's not huge, 15' x 48" deep, but enough she had a good time, DH was still healthy last year so he built her a nice dock to fly off of, ramp for return. I wasn't going to bother with it this year, but got wondering about this little boy liking it. Ha-he sure does. Great to know some other Brittany owners. Thank you guys!

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Let's see some pics of your boy. What's his name? You will have to keep us posted on how he progresses.

Here's a pic of my female, Bree, that I got at 6 months of age. She will be 6 in a couple of weeks. The pic was taken at a recent NSTRA trial.
May 2022.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Baileysmom

Post by Baileysmom » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 am

Wow, Bree is so pretty! She looks so happy with that little nose to the wind. Little boy is named Bailey. I'll try to attach a couple of pictures of him. :-) Have a great day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:54 am

What a cutie. :) Welcome to the forum.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Baileysmom

Post by Baileysmom » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 pm

Thanks Sharon! I think he knows he is cute, he's great at using it.