Another new guy here.

K9BigDog

Another new guy here.

Post by K9BigDog » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:40 am

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I'm Joe and I'm from New York, a few miles south of the West Point Military Academy. I'm 56 and a semi-retired LEO. By semi-retired, I mean I "officially" retired after an almost 34 year career and now I'm back with my department on a part-time basis which mostly just gets me out of the house one or two days a week. :lol: I'm also a part-time musician, DJ and I like to cook. Wild game and BBQ are my specialties. And of course my hunting and fishing.
I used to run beagles for many years and I was the first K9 Handler in the history of my agency. All my life I wanted a bird dog and after I retired I finally made that dream come true. I have an English setter, female and she's 3 years old now. I spend a lot of time with her in the Catskill Mountains of NY chasing grouse and running on state land for stocked birds and preserves. She's a little on the small side, only 35lbs, but she's absolutely fierce in the field and very natural with her retrieves. She's very fast but seems to know how to adjust her range to the terrain. I'm hoping this fall to maybe get her up to Maine and really get her dialed in on the grouse. The property I hunt in the Catskills also touches the East Branch of the Delaware and I suspect that during certain times there are woodcock down there. We'll find out this year. :D Hope to get to know you all better and learn a few things and maybe help out a bit too.

deseeker

Re: Another new guy here.

Post by deseeker » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:38 am

Welcome to the forum. :D

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:29 am

Welcome to the forum. I too have a setter and I'm just across the line in MA~

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:48 am

Welcome, and thanks so much for your many years in law enforcement! Keep us posted on your setter's progress.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:23 am

Thanks for your service! Welcome to the forum😀

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:29 am

Welcome to the forum.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you will be able to make a good contribution here. Your post brought back some very good memories- I also had a 35 pound setter who was " fierce in the fields". :)
Let us know if there is any thing we can ever do to help you in your use of the forum.

Sharon ( mod)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:15 pm

Welcome from another NY guy and his GSP side kick Axe -
Happy to see another from NY coming on . Quite familar with the areas you make note of and look forward to following along.