** New Member - New Dog Owner**

BlkMtnBoykin

** New Member - New Dog Owner**

Post by BlkMtnBoykin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:16 am

Hello Gun Dog Forum,

This is my first post as a new member and excited to join the community! I am a 35 year old guy living with my wife and daughter outside of Asheville, NC. I am a part time fly fishing guide here in WNC. I grew up upland bird hunting with dogs my whole life in GA, but have never owned my own bird dog. I am excited to say that I am picking up my first Boykin in about 8 weeks. It took close to 4 years or research and hunting over them and spending home time with friends Boykins to decide on the breed.

For hunting I ultimately want to use my little brown dog for everything. I do a few dove, duck, and pheasant hunts a year with my family in GA (about 10 total). I do some grouse hunting and wood duck hunting where I am at in WNC (about 4 total). I also spend about about 2 months a year in Alaska at my wife’s family homestead where we duck and spruce hen hunt.

As far as training, I have read Gun Dog, and I have Hickox retriever DVD set. I have also had two dogs growing up that I have trained as great pets, but only pets over the years. I am not trying to train a dog to do competitions with, but want to have a great hunting companion and pet. With all that being said I have lots of questions but first looking for any and all advice!!!!!

I am looking for any pointers or any advice that you would have for me, Especially for a new puppy!

fishvik

Re: ** New Member - New Dog Owner**

Post by fishvik » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm interested in how the Boykin works out. I love watching those little dogs but they are few and far between out here. One couple up in Driggs, ID use theirs in the fall for hunting and as an avalanche dog in the winter. But watching it I don't think it just rests up during the spring and summer.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Welcome to the forum :D

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Welcome to GDF, you're going to love it here. Lot's of great folks and a ton of info/help.

Good luck with your boykin; I too would like to read about his progess~

BlkMtnBoykin

Post by BlkMtnBoykin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:08 pm

I will keep everyone updated on the progress. I got a GoPro for Christmas so I am going to try and record/document everything as I train my pup!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:33 pm

Welcome, good to hear you did your due diligence prior to taking on the project. Surely there will be some ups and downs ahead, but so worth it. Mostly pointing dog enthusiast here, but there are some very experienced retriever/spaniel folks that do frequent the site. Congrats!

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:00 am

Welcome to the forum!
And will be looking forward to hearing about your progress with the puppy. :D

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:36 pm

Welcome. Take the training slow. I trained my first GSP at 35 using only gun dog by Wolters. 15 minutes every day. He was a fantastic dog.