New guy with puppy question

Nvchukar92

Post by Nvchukar92 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to learning new things on heat. I cerently have one 7 year old Brittany that I hunt chukar with. I do have a question though; I am picking up an 8 week old Brittany puppy right before Christmas. The breeder lives 5 hours away from me and I will be driving her home. The puppy will be at our house for the next two days but then we are driving 4 hours to my families place for the holidays where the dog will spend the next 4 nights in a couple different houses as we spend time with my wifes and my families. My question is if this "shuffling" and driving so much right after picking up the puppy will have any adverse affects on the dog? I've heard they are pretty resilient at that age and the puppy won't be around other unvaccinated dogs at all.

Thanks for the help!

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:56 pm

I picked mine up and went to the in laws as well as my folks place. Trips were 4 and 5 hours. He did fine and I think it helped socialize him. We kept him in a kennel at night and in a baby play hate that was maneuvered in a half circle around the couch. Wasn't the easiest thing in the world but we made it without any issues. GSP by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: New guy with puppy question

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:27 pm

It won't kill the puppy, but I'm an advocate of waiting until 9-10 weeks to pick up the pup from the breeder. That seems to be the "best" time to remove a pup from the litter. I'd skip the early release and pick the pup up after the holidays, but that's just my preference.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:41 pm

RoostersMom wrote:It won't kill the puppy, but I'm an advocate of waiting until 9-10 weeks to pick up the pup from the breeder. That seems to be the "best" time to remove a pup from the litter. I'd skip the early release and pick the pup up after the holidays, but that's just my preference.
If the breeder will let you wait a few weeks the holidays will be much more relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:01 pm

If you travel with the pup--AVOID the pet areas in the rest areas on the interstates. Every dog traveling uses these pet areas and not all of them are healthy dogs. Even if there are no dogs there at the time--all their pee and poop is still there. Find areas not used by other dogs to let your pup pee & poop in. I'd also search in this forum for car sick pups--they have suggestions for keeping pups from getting car sick(just in case). Good luck with your new pup. :D

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 am

I hope you are an experienced dog person who knows how to use a kennel for a new pup. If you do not know about using a kennel and the many do's and don'ts search the Internet and learn how to use this training tool.

That kennel will quickly become the pups safe place. Therefore the pup will feel at home while traveling because it is in the kennel. Some pups adapt quickly and as long as you take them out to pee every 2-3 hours for the first 4-5 weeks they will do well. I have always understood that picking a dog up at 8 weeks is ideal from a behavior point of view. But it is always a debate.

You do realize that you may not get much sleep over the holidays....! Some pups adapt quickly, many are slow and will cry every time they need to pee and sometimes just to be crying. If you make the mistake of taking out of the kennel when crying to do anything but pee....they quickly learn you will come and get them every time they cry....and that gets to be a pain.

Good luck :mrgreen:

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:30 pm

I would wait until after the trip, it seems like a lot of stimulation for a pup who is leaving its family for the first time.