New German Shorthair Pointer - Looking for tips!

PiperGrouse

Post by PiperGrouse » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:26 am

Hey there I have my first hunting dog which just turned one in September, her obedience is OK, I'm here looking for tips from those who have lived and learned already. I'm from Wisconsin and love to groups/woodcock/pheasant hunt. I cant wait to try and have that dog that everyone loves to hunt around and not swear about. :)

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: New German Shorthair Pointer - Looking for tips!

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:19 pm

PiperGrouse wrote:Hey there I have my first hunting dog which just turned one in September, her obedience is OK, I'm here looking for tips from those who have lived and learned already. I'm from Wisconsin and love to groups/woodcock/pheasant hunt. I cant wait to try and have that dog that everyone loves to hunt around and not swear about. :)
A few suggestions. Read a few books attend a few seminars and find a local Pointing 'Dog Club and join it. Find an experienced pointing dog enthusiast and train with them.

Suggest reading "Training with Mo" " Puppy Development" or anything by Huntsmith, George Hickcox or Perfect Start.

It will take more than "a few tips" to train your pup the right way.

Good luck to you.

trips2win

Post by trips2win » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:05 am

I was in your shoes just 2 years ago. My gsp Dexter is my first hunting dog. So my experience is only limited. However i did find a very good trainer here in NH. My biggest takeaway is *get your dog on birds* as soon as possible. Find a trainer that will supply the birds for you. Cost is a big concern by i found it to be a very good investment. After only a few months Dex was pointing very nicely.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I used the Perfect Starter dvd's and had good results. Good luck
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Hey there in Wisconsin,
I too am somewhat new to training a hunting dog. My Britt is almost 3 but and progressing nicely. I hunted over GSP's and retrievers and they are all great dogs. Books and videos are always helpful. A quality e-collar will make the process a whole lot easier too. I believe most pointing breeds have the natural instinct to hunt and getting them to obey your commands is the difficult part. I never hunted my dog the first year but spent lots of time walking the fields and woods with him. It seems as every month goes by he picks up more and is at the point now where he looks to me for direction and commands. Still hunts out a bit far at times but is much better then last year. I guess the best advice I have is work on the basics especially when afield and do get him around birds to keep him interested but don't expect a perfect dog in 1 or even two years , you will both get there in due time. Good luck!

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Join a local NAVHDA chapter. Lots of good advice. I thinks you'll enjoy the folks and thier help. A link to NAVHDA's website. http://www.navhda.us/chapterinfo.aspx