Hello from Los Angeles

Blanco

Hello from Los Angeles

Post by Blanco » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm new to the whole gun dog thing, & came here to learn, I'm much more of a fisherman & always practice catch & release.
& realizing once you shoot something you really can't release back into the wild & expect it to grow for the next time like a fish, But being I'm now the owner of a Chesapeake bay retriever, & realizing what he was bred for I'm considering this new hobby, I've never eaten duck, yet my wife has & she says its ok, & I figured with the right way of cooking it, might make it yummy?

Anyways I do like eating bird.
& have started hunt training our dog with experienced hunters & am thinking once he picks it up, its time to go hunting & learning how to cook bird. :D

My Dog Hunter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Hello from Los Angeles

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Welcome to the board. Nice looking dog but a word of warning, I would get those chains off of his neck and replace them with a good collar before he catches on of them on a stick or wire and hangs himself or does great bodily harm before you could get to him.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Blanco

Post by Blanco » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Have no intention in keeping that collar for long its just that he is in his teenage period & this is for training only, it just helps him remember who is boss.
He is getting much better everyday & I hope he becomes like the dogs our trainers have, so impressive.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Welcome, great looking dog there. Do you fish for the famed California monster bass that get fat on the put and take trout?

Ezzy some people with larger and more powerful dogs than Brittany's and lap dogs sometimes need a pinch collar to avoid injury to ourselves if a dog should happen to lunge. They are not chains, they are an effective training tool that prevents pulling.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 am

good looking dog
cc

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:06 am

Good looking dog have fun with him but be warned this bird dog stuff can get addictive, I agree with ezzy there are better collars, if you have not looked at leather pinch collars you might want to give them a glance.But i would never leave ANY pinch type collar on a dog if i was not on the other end of the leash.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:00 am

gotpointers wrote:Welcome, great looking dog there. Do you fish for the famed California monster bass that get fat on the put and take trout?

Ezzy some people with larger and more powerful dogs than Brittany's and lap dogs sometimes need a pinch collar to avoid injury to ourselves if a dog should happen to lunge. They are not chains, they are an effective training tool that prevents pulling.
Gee I wouldn't have known that if you hadn't explained it for me. Bet the first time he jumps a fence and catches it he won't choke like most dogs since it is just for training. I have see that happen too often. Guess I should put my pinch collars away since I will never need them again unless I get another 80 pound dog in to train, but I admit I am not planning on that. I can't believe how I or the kids ever got along for those many years we didn't have one without getting hurt.

Always fun to go along with a post like yours to help entertain people.

Thanks,
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:36 am

gotpointers wrote:Welcome, great looking dog there. Do you fish for the famed California monster bass that get fat on the put and take trout?

Yes because the physical size and power of a dog dictates the level of correction :roll:

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 am

Thats a great looking Chessie! I love the intense look of a Chesapeake! All business.

Being a Chessie he will probably teach you way more than you teach him about dogs. Fair warning though. You two are going to have more fun than any one person probably deserves to have.

Where did you get him?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:24 am

Nice dog! Welcome, I'm new here as well. As for the side discussion on training collars, I think it's funny that the dog's size is the deciding factor lol. A choke collar or a prong collar are for training purposes (should that be the way you train) and size of the dog really has nothing to do with anything (if it did they wouldn't come in 12" lengths). Welcome aboard! I think you're getting into a great "hobby".
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Nothing more dangerous than a pack of yappy ankle biters :D I very glad that you are all using prong type training aids to prevent dislocated shoulders. :roll: as well as taking the safety and well being of the fellow yuppies and suburbanites!!

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:19 pm

gotpointers wrote:Nothing more dangerous than a pack of yappy ankle biters :D I very glad that you are all using prong type training aids to prevent dislocated shoulders. :roll: as well as taking the safety and well being of the fellow yuppies and suburbanites!!
Yes there is a pack of run off's.... no telling what they are doing or where they are at :D .

Blanco

Post by Blanco » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Strange how my last post did not take?

Anyways I got my Chessie from a good breeder I was following for about a year to all the AKC show in the So Cal area & got to know her well & so as we discussed what I wanted in a Chessie we waited for the right combo of parents with the right temperament that would suit me best.

& then I got 1st pick of the litter when we went to the Temperament day of testing, I already really liked this puppy before that day but as of that day settled it & here what he looked like then.

& we entered him in his 1st show last month in San Bernadino & he did really well. :mrgreen:

EDIT:

For some reason I just tried 4 different way to post a picture & it keeps telling its invalid?

& not to mention my last post never took?