Member from Mo.

r nickell

Member from Mo.

Post by r nickell » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:33 pm

I am 52 and live in the KC mo area. Guess since I get lots of my work cloths from the local thrift store only makes sense I would get my hunting dogs from the pound. :roll:
In all seriousness though I currently have a GSP and a WPG both from animal shelters in the midwest and it has been an adventure. The German was gunshy and very timid and at times I thought the best thing was to forget the idea of him ever being a hunting dog. But after two years and lots of patience what ever I saw in him that made me think he might be a hunter is proving right. At the start of the year he was finially over the gun shyness but still unsure of himself in the field at times stopping and looking at me as if to ask what he was suppost to do. Then suddenly one day there was no more stopping, no more unsure looks. About the fourth time out this year it was like everything klicked in place for him and he turned into a bird hunting machine. He was pointing, retrieving, and most importent suddenly having fun and hunting full tilt. My second rescue dog I adopted at the end of July as a birthday present for myself. She was listed as a German Wirehaired Pointer and looked to be just over 1 year old. She turned out to be a Wirehaired pointing Griffon and can only be discribed as a rock star in the field. Decided she was my reward for not giving up on the German.
I know rescue dogs are not the way to go for most people nor should they be cause without the serious FT's that want the best bloodline's avilable the breeds do not advance and improve. But for some of us rescue dogs are a good option, far to many promising dogs end up going to waste in shelter's and rescues. But enough from my soapbox. I enjoy hanging around learning from those with vastly more experience that post on this site. And perhaps from time to time bragging on the recycled kids as they and myself have fun out in the field chasing quail.
W.W.T.G.D.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Member from Mo.

Post by topher40 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:04 pm

A good dog is a good dog, papers or no papers, rescue or bought from a breeder. Sounds like your dogs fit your needs and wants so what could be more important? Glad to have you on board here at GDF and always feel free to ask questions or even give advice from your experiences, everyone can learn something here from anyone! :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Member from Mo.

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:20 pm

With out papers to show what kind of breeding your dogs came from you really have no idea as to how they are bred.My point is they could be bred aswell as any dogs of the breed out there,though unlikely.But stranger things have happened,if they have turned out to be as you say they probably come from some decent bred dogs whether FC lines or hunting dogs.
Good on you for adopting & being patient & kind enough to give them a chance.That's more then likely why they ended up where they were,their previous owner was not that KIND.

:D :D :D