New member from TN

Clay

New member from TN

Post by Clay » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Hey guys live in E. TN. Thinking about getting a dog and getting into bird hunting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: New member from TN

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Welcome! you came to the right place for help and informaion. Hope you enjoy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:43 pm

what part of e tn?

Clay

Post by Clay » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:05 am

I live in Cleveland TN.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:39 am

pretty familiar with north east tn, down your way is a little less familiar.

I love bird hunting and want to encourage everyone to get into it, it is a little addicting as I am sure most people on here would agree.

East Tn, is not a hot spot for birds though. So, it might be a little frustrating, unless you have a few spots that your run into birds. You are close to the Cherokee Nat. Forest, there is a lot of public land there and there could be some small pockets of quail around you.

some good gsp breeders around you and I am sure that you can find some other breeds close by as well.

brandon

Clay

Post by Clay » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 am

I wish it was like when I was a kid. My dad and I went all the time on farms close by but they are all subdivisions now. I want to get my kids into it like I was. I have acces to alot of private land but I will have to bring the quail mostly deer hunters. I was thinking about relesing some on my uncles place this year. Would also like to get into Grouse hunting.
I was also wondering about how much does a well breed dog cost. Leaning toward GSP GWP and Britains. I had an Engilsh setter growing up. Any input would be great.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:41 pm

Welcome, Clay.

Well-bred bird dogs vary greatly in price. I suggest that you hang out and keep an eye on the Dogs For Sale forum. GSP, GWP, Brittany, Pointer, Setter, ..., they'll all do you just fine. It's more about the dog than the breed. Since you're near Chattanooga, suggest that you make friends with Rick Hopkins and Brenda Roe at Walnut Hill Kennel. They are just over the state line in LaFayette, GA. They would be a tremendous resource.

Depending on what you mean by releasing quail on the land that you have access to, you may find that a very hard row to hoe. I suggest that you do a lot of research into it beforehand.

Greg J.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 pm

how much is a well bred dog is a very loaded question. you can get a whole host of answers on that one. I would start with trying to find a breeder that is close to you that is willing to work with you on training the dog and learning how to train a dog. That is a very big part of what you are going to have to learn when getting a dog.

i think that any breed will fit the bill that you need. I would think in your instance, proximity might be one of the biggest components. start there and come back to us.

brandon

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 am

As a newbie that just got done doing the research for breeds and breeders here are some things I did to narrow down my search...

1. I am a visual person so I wrote out a list of the most popular gun dog breeds. From there I asked the forum what the strengths and weaknesses are of the breeds (see viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25585&p=231658#p231658 & viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25752&p=232886#p232886) As you can see I started wanting a GR but ended up choosing a GSP. Also, be careful about this one, the people on here really love their breeds, the convo could get a little testy but nothing too bad...

2. After I settled on a GSP I wanted to research more about what I wanted in a dog. What did I want my dog to do... Did I want it to hunt close? Did I want it to be a FT or conformation dog? Did I want it to be able to retrieve waterfowl? Did I want it to be just a pet? Knowing what you want is half the battle!

3. After I found out what I wanted and how I wanted my dog to hunt, I went to a Field Trial! THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP AND THE POINT OF NO RETURN!!! Once you take this plunge... youre hooked! But since you had some hunting expierience before, it will probably just stir up an old flame...

4. After that I wanted to know more about what bloodlines would give me the traits I wanted in a dog. I asked around at the FT and on here for that as well. (see viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25820&p=233536#p233536 & viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25972&p=234893#p234893)

5. Finally it was time to pick a breeder (viewtopic.php?f=69&t=25888&p=234606#p234606)

I know this was a little extensive for someone that, I am assuming, isnt as green as I am but I thought I would at least give you some food for thought! Enjoy the search...

Clay

Post by Clay » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for the info. I have been around alittle but its been 15 years or more so the links you sent will be very helpful.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:55 am

http://www.walnuthillgsps.us/ in case you didn't see the link in my signature.