Hello from the Ozarks

PhillipTaylor

Hello from the Ozarks

Post by PhillipTaylor » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:52 am

Hello everybody. I have been following this website for a month or so now and have found it to be full of great info. I am in the process of training my dog. I got my dog from a pound as a 4 month old pup. They told me it was part GSP and part black lab. They probably told me this because it was mainly black with pointer coloration on his feet, chest, and a white tip of the tail. As he has grown up just about everything about him has said "bird dog". He acts and runs around just like my friends GSP that he had during high school. His face and build look just like most of the GSP's on here. He points everything from starlings, rabbits, to fireflies. The more I watched him the more I realized I might have a decent bird dog on my hands. I recently took him to the vet for a checkup and the vet said he was likely mainly GSP with a little weimer in him due to his longer ears and longer straighter legs. All in all, he is turning out to be a pretty neat dog.

I have never trained a bird dog before. I have hunted with many of them, but never trained them. All of the dogs I had in the past were squirrel and hog dogs. To tell you the truth I like the fact you have to work with bird dogs more to get them fully trained. Anyway, I live down in Springfield, Missouri and have a half-built pigeon coop in the backyard at this time. I would be done with it, but it has finally decided to get HOT here this summer. I am looking forward to being a member of this forum and hopefully one day being able to brag on my mixed-breed gun dog.

Phillip Taylor

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: Hello from the Ozarks

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Welcome aboard Phillip, it's a great site to learn from....

Chip

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Welcome,

Training is a lot of fun and you will find good info here.

Jeff

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Welcome to GDF Phillip....this is a great site with tons of awesome information. Good luck with the training, sounds like a real nice dog you have there.
Bill L.

wirehog

Post by wirehog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:30 am

Welcome aboard Phillip!

Love your art. You do incredible work. I'm a fairly new fly tyer so I have nothing worth sending you. Look forward to see your project when it's finished.
Jim

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost...
Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill...
It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish...
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world...
--J.R.R. Tolkien--

PhillipTaylor

Post by PhillipTaylor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks guys for the welcome and for the compliment. Between the J.O.B., flyfishing, getting my Masters in teaching, being a husband,father, and now dog training, I don't have as much time for my art as I would like. At least I don't have a chance to get bored though.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Welcome to the GDF! :)

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Hello and Welcome.

Dave.