New from Nevada

CHUKAR

New from Nevada

Post by CHUKAR » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am

Howdy!

I have a German Wirehaired Pointer who is 7 and has Addison's Disease. Cruiser is an excellent Chukar dog and companion but is limited in amount of exertion he can handle.

We are starting to look into getting a puppy while Cruiser is still able to be a mentor to him (or her). We have had several GWPs and a GSP over the years and consider both to be great breeds. I joined the forum to get some input on what pointer to consider for our next puppy. Pointers we are considering (along with the GWP and GSP) are the Brittany and English Pointer. We have also been reading about the Braque du Bourbonnais(Bourbonnais Pointer) and hope to get some input from owners on them.

We only upland hunt for Chukar. We need a dog who can cover a lot of ground in rocky mountainous terrain which requires feet which can be tuffened to take the rocks.

Kiki's Mom

Re: New from Nevada

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Welcome to the Board!

The kind fo hunting you describe tugs at my heart strings.....Northern Nevada was home for nearly 20 years. Chukar hunting is some of the toughest hunting to be done and is some of the FUNNEST, if you ask me....especially if you have some tensions that need to be worked out. Nothing like making a great climb up a bluff only to have those laughing naughty birds fly downhil on ya!

Brittanys can get the job done very nicely and their smaller size gets em into tighter places more easily then the bigger pointers. Never had any problems with feet....they adapted to the rough sandy terrain from puppyhood :wink: If you pick a Brittany from FT/hunting lines vs show you should have no problems what so ever with stamina and endurance to hunt all day.

I have a couple brits that were raised in that country and they still run circles around everyone else. :wink:

Sorry to hear about Cruiser's health issues.

CHUKAR

Post by CHUKAR » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:19 am

Thank You for your reply Helen. Looks like you have some nice dogs on your website.

Several hunting buddies of mine have had Brittany’s and I have been impressed with them. They are definitely a great working dog, cover a lot of ground, and point and fetch well. The small size is nice also for transporting them (they fit well in a med. kennel so you can get 2 kennels side by side in your Landcruiser with room left over). They are on our short list.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:25 pm

I have a great breeding coming up ...in fact being bred as we speak...perfect for the Chukar hunting!
It is my Kiki girl m( Wild Mtn's Thunderstruck) - daughter of MY chukar dog, DC Mokan Wild Mtn I'm Justa Gigolo x King (FC King Of Pop'S)- a son of my husband's Chukar dog DC Bdr's Zigman Floyd. Pedigree goes to NFC/DC/AFC Gambler's Ace in The Hole, NAFC/DC/AFC Renegade's Kansas Kid, NAFC/FC/AFC Lea's Running Jayhawk, NFC/FC/AFC Microdot to name a few....

PM for further details and full pedigree.

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Welcome Chukar.

I've seen some nice chukar dogs in all of the breeds you mentioned and I'm sure if you do enough research on the breeding you'll be able to find the perfect candidate for your needs (no matter which breed you decide on).

I run a BDB and spend a lot of time with him on the chukar hills in Utah and Idaho. He did very well ranging out and finding birds last season (especially given the fact that it was his first year). I started running him in some of my hunting areas as soon as the nesting season ended last year to condition his pads and get him used to running around in the steep country. I'm not sure how much impact that had, but his pads did very well on our trips. We hunted chukar somewhere between 50 and 70 days last year and I never had a single pad injury that slowed him down. He did have a couple minor abrasions after doing back to back days in some crusty snow, but he never missed a beat.

I've posted a couple videos on some of the different forums I visit that show mine and my friends BDB's hunting chukar if you'd like to see how they range and cover ground in the steep country.

Good luck with the new pup, whatever you decide.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Welcome to the GDF!
I know with the right research you will find just the right breed for you. :)

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Welcome to GDF Chukar!!
Bill L.

CHUKAR

Post by CHUKAR » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:52 am

Thank You all!!

We have decided to look for a GWP (I have talked to a couple breeders). I'm sure any of the discussed breeds would meet our hunting needs but
we can not justify switching from the GWPs that have served us so well.

If anyone know of pups that are or will be available that they could reccomend it would be appreciated. We would prefer a male with shorter than longer
hair and mostly white in color.