A little about you...

Steve Lee

Re: A little about you...

Post by Steve Lee » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:11 am

Hello and just a bit about myself. I am 55, live in Louisiana and work in the fields of underground injection control and surface mining. I have hunted my entire life and my main outdoor interests are fly fishing, upland and duck hunting. A couple of years ago I acquired Dutch an "Irreverent" Boykin Spaniel from Just Ducky Kennels, and I have been training him for flushing and retrieving. He's a great dog, smart and eager to please. Unfortunately, due to a job change I have not been able to work with him as much as I would like, but he is still coming along and doing great. It looks like the members of this forum have a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to share and I look forward to contributing when and where I can.

DavidS

Post by DavidS » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi I'm Dave.
I've been hunting a few years now and decided it's time to get a dog to help out.
I teach wood shop and spend as much time outside hunting and playing around as I can.
I am waiting to hear from the breeder about a Drahthaar, and expect a call any day now.
I'm here to listen and learn.
D

mariareese

Post by mariareese » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:58 am

My name is Maria, I am just 24 years old, I am sales executive in private company. I have a little puppy and I really care for, I love to learn about different types of dogs, their habits and all.

SamuraiCO

Post by SamuraiCO » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Found this site when I was searching for preventing ice balls on your dog's feet in the winter.

Hi my name is John. I live in Parker, CO just southeast of Denver. I hunt upland game with my two English Setters. I have hunted N. Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado. In my main group of hunting partners one runs GSP's and the other flat coat retrievers. Both have new puppies that will join us in the field next year. We all enjoy the hunting experience, great dog work and passing our enjoyment to the next generation. If we get birds in the bag that is icing on the cake. We work to give the kids the better shots.

I have a Contour mobile video that I have used to take video for the last 7 years. It straps to my head and sees what I see. I have gotten some great video of my dogs working and adds another level of remembering experiences.

My first dog Sage was an amazing English Springer Spaniel I purchased from a local breeder, High Prairie Flushing Spaniels. That dog had more drive and hunt than any of my friend's dogs. Amazing instincts. I worked quite a lot with some local field trial participants that were breeders/pro handlers. Was a lot of fun but I did not like the idea of finished dogs sitting to wing and shot. Seemed to work against their flushing instincts and I would rather have my dog charging to where the birds go down to make sure any runners are scooped up. I still hunted Sage into his teens. He passed at 17 years of age in 2012.

We were looking for another hunting dog and my wife wanted a different breed and we happened on English Setters. My first setter Aspen was from Decoverly. He was large almost 80 pounds. I had wanted some help training him so I took him to a handler at a local shotgun range. He determined he would never hunt and was what was called a "boot licker". He was more use to seeing the smaller field trial setters that run like English Pointers. What did I know I shelved training Aspen but no matter what he still showed great hunting instincts. I eventually figured out he had the drive (just different than I was use to seeing with Sage) and started training him myself. Just when he was getting ready he blew out a knee and was out for a season. Next year he did awesome in Kansas but when I got him back I noticed swelling under his neck. He was eventually diagnosed with lymphoma and passed the following year. I am so sorry I listened to this "pro" and missed some great hunting with Aspen.

Searching for my next pup brought me to October Setters. My buddies father in law in Idaho ran across their kennel so I checked them out and had Luke sent out. I trained him myself and we have been learning from each other for the last 7 seasons. With Sage's passing I picked up my second dog Logan from October setters. His second season had him getting his first wild point and a point and honor (all instinctive, nothing I did). I just lavish the praise. Logan learns a lot running with Luke and is developing into a fine hunting companion. As Luke get's older in a few years I will be able to rest him while Logan takes up the majority of fields. This breeder has dogs with such great instincts I feel guilty they have turned out so good.

Here is Logan Luke with their first CO bird of 2014. Luke chased this bad boy until he ran out of cover and reluctantly had to fly. Prairie Storm #5's made quick work. Logan had been chasing his buddies and they flew off to my left. No shot on those birds though.

Hope to read more and enjoy the comradery here.

redVTX

Post by redVTX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Names Anthony, Im 31yrs old. Born and raised in Texas. Grew up in the city. Campin on weekends and holidays. I grew up with dogs.
I wanted to hunt after seein the movie Bambi but never had any one to teach me/take me. Im a horseman and got my first pointer
as a trail dog, but she was pointin the day I got her so I thought why waste all that "hunting instinct"? so here I am a NON HUNTER
trainin my first pup to hunt birds. I have bought DVDs and consulted with some bird dog trainers and she should be ready by next
season. She is a Vizsla that is a great dog!! Im lookin for my first shotgun ( I have only ever shot pistols in the ghetto ) so this is all
very new to me.

Team Penning/Sorting/Roping. I played polo for two yrs. Trail ridin and campin with my dogs and horses!!

I also am interested in huntin deer, and hogs. I figured it'd be easier to start on birds. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Domestic wolves

redVTX

Post by redVTX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:46 pm

I do not do any trials or competitions of any kind. Im not a competitive guy and have no plans to compete just learn to hunt with my dog and eat some birds!!

Im an obedience dog trainer in my local area.
Domestic wolves

Maverick 898

Post by Maverick 898 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:34 am

First time Brittany (soon to be )owner, pup will be picked up in mid february, live on Long Island NY............Just saying hello

birdhunter1970

Post by birdhunter1970 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:26 pm

43 year old male married to a beautiful lady with 2 great kids son 23 daughter 20 own 3 English Setters and 1 Brittany entire family enjoys hunting quail and pheasant in Oklahoma and Kansas and during the off Upland season hunting deer, turkey and dove is a family passion

MelcherBoy

Post by MelcherBoy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I got into hunting late in the game. My first time hunting wasn't until I was 21. I've been playing catch up ever since. My wife and I rescued/adopted an 8 month old GSP, wh is now three-ish (His age is an educated guess). He "rope a doped" me at the ARL by playing fetch for a solid 20 minutes, and has never shown any interest in it since. lol I look forward to learning how to respark his interest in it. I know that he can be a good hunting dog but both he and I have so much to learn. Trust me, if you know something about hunting and/or training a hunting dog the odds are good that I don't know it and would love to hear about it.

In my spare time I like to hunt, read, cook, and play some occasional XBox...but working at least 50 hours a week has put a serious damper on those! If you want to know anything else, just ask!

JesterJack

Post by JesterJack » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:29 am

Good evening everyone. I'm glad that I stumbled across this site. I grew up down south hunting ducks, dove, turkey, and deer. We always hunted ducks over labs. I moved out to Denver after college and don't do much duck hunting to speak of anymore. I missed bird hunting so I decided to get into upland bird hunting. I am currently deciding whether to get a Brittany or a Llewellin. I look forward to leaning from all of you and listening to suggestions based on your prior experience.

tannerismyhero

Post by tannerismyhero » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi, My name is Adam and I live in eastern Iowa.
I am getting a pointing lab (hopefully a red one) should be born today! I am getting it from Black Patridge Kennels in IL. The dame is BPK's All About Scout and the Sire is Black Ice's Super Sonic Scooter.
This is first puppy and I am really excited to start training.
It has been a rough few years in my area for pheasant and quail, but I am seeing more signs of them around so I thought I better pull the trigger. I am looking forward to learning with my Lab and becoming good hunting buddies. I am also really hoping that my daughter who is 3 1/2 now may be able to come out and do a short hunt with us in a couple years.
Other than upland birds I love to deer hunt with the bow and shotgun. Recently i have gotten into coyote and crows. I never knew crow hunting could be so fast paced.

Thanks to everyone on here for sharing their insight on all these topics. I am a complete rookie and will probably be asking a lot of questions!

mmack1981

Post by mmack1981 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:25 am

I don't come from a hunting family, my parents didn't believe in guns so we went fishing. I first bought my Remington 870 about 4yrs ago when we we're living in Indianapolis. My wife just had our youngest son and the worst winter storm in 12yrs was headed right for us. The last time a storm of that magnitude hit people in some areas were without utilities for as long as two weeks. My first thought was to buy wood for the fire place. Of course everyone had the same idea, so no firewood for us. I then went to Walmart and couldn't believe my eyes. It looked like the place had been looted. Meat, water and the bread isles were empty. That's when I realized I have Canadian geese that poop on my driveway. That's when I bought my shotgun. A couple years ago my buddy took me pheasant hunting. We didn't have a dog but met a hunter that let us hunt with him. I made up my mind that the next dog I get will be a bird dog. I live in north east Illinois, just 30min from Chicago. We don't have a lot of pheasant, but there is no shortage of ducks and geese...so I decided on a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I've grown up with dogs and always had them in my life. I'm an avid dog trainer but I don't have the $$$ to send my dog away to be professionally trained so I'll be doing it myself. I'm looking for;suggestions on best practices for hunt training my dog, connecting with a hunting group near where I live and hopefully make a few new friends in the process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BSgsp

Post by BSgsp » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:17 pm

My name is Ben and I have been reading this forum for awhile now and have a 4 month old gasp female named Roxy. I am planning on training her for bird hunting and shed hunting. I have been hunting since I was a kid. Everything that has a season here in Missouri I have hunted except waterfowl! Started with rabbits, squirrels, and frogs, then turkeys, deer, and coyotes and everything in between! I hunted rabbits with beagles most of my life but have never hunted birds with dogs but have always wanted to. Turkey and deer have always been my favorite especially bow hunting. Never had the money to get a good bird dog! I turn 40 in a few days and I'm looking forward to spending time with my 3 kids working with Roxy, hunting birds and hunting sheds! We haven't had a dog for awhile and the kids absolutely love having one again. I thought as much as they love dogs this would not only give us more time together but also keep them outdoors and away from video games as much as possible!
Looking forward to learning everything I can on this forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Bill Bryson

Post by Bill Bryson » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:32 pm

My name is Bill. I live in the middle Tennessee area. I'm 65 and have been hunting quail since I was around 12-13. Hunt at least one day per week during the season 6-7 hours each time. Hunting buddy for last 27 years is a 52 year old I coached in high school football. Still love to water ski and snow ski. I'm interested in getting some insight into training issues that pop up. Quail hunting is probably my one addiction!

PAkid

Post by PAkid » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:04 am

My name is Matthew. I am originally from a small town in west central PA. I am thirty four years old and a platoon sergeant in the US Army. I am stationed at Fort Campbell, KY. I am currently serving in Afghanistan for the third time. My wife and I have three lap dogs. I have always had an appreciation for gun dogs, and have hunted some grouse with my uncle and his springer in PA. I am going to separate from the service in a little over two years and will be moving back to PA. I plan on foot hunting and doing some fly fishing. I am here to learn as much as I can, so that when the time comes that I can obtain a gun dog, I will be ready.

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Hello, I have been following the forum for a couple of years now. I appreciate all the great training info from other users and of course the great comedy of opinions! I currently live in Joseph, OR but have moved extensively for work in the western states. I grew up in ND with labs and setters. I don't remember "learning" to hunt. I think my dad's teaching method amounted to put those kids in giant chest waders and just get 'em out there. You either learned or you didn't. I got into big game hunting more in my twenties but back to the birds now. I am now 41 and have 2 English Setters, a 2 year old and 12 year old. The old dog was a 3 year old gunshy rehab case that I acquired in ID. She turned around after a year on a check cord with wild quail and a 2 week trip to ND. I could not expect her to ever be steady to shot but she turned out to be a good hunter despite her rough start in life. I learned a lot about overcoming gun dog problems and I was very fortunate to live in a place with lots of wild birds. The wild birds cured the serious issues for sure. The 2 year old setter I got as a puppy from Mesquite Ridge Kennels in OK. She has been outstanding despite my amateur handling. We had a great time this fall and winter with sharp tails and Huns in ND and an introduction to chukars in eastern OR. Both of the dogs are wide ranging hunters and very staunch. I am looking forward to learning more about training and handling big running dogs.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:41 am

Hello, my name is Shae and I am 23 and I'm from South Dakota. I've been bird hunting since the state would legally allow me. It basically became my number one hobby and I also now have a year old gsp to compliment that. Currently my life is consumed with school (social studies teaching major) and I'm also in the national guard. Other than that I spend my days working with my dog (currently FF). I look forward to doing a bit of traveling next fall and hunting in other states. I would love to visit my family in New Mexico and hunt quail. My goal is to shoot each of the major game birds.

Thanks!!!

CreekcoBob

Post by CreekcoBob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:59 pm

First time member....68 yr old male...retired from three different jobs....teaching, sports director and bank manager....re-kindled my love of hunting. I have 9 beagles and once competed in UBGF (United Beagle Gundog Federation) trials but only use them to chase bunnies now. I started back on bird hunting this year. Although I have to drive 250 miles to find quail and pheasant areas it is still worth it to watch a good bird dog work. I have an English Setter just started this year and plan on getting an English pointer soon. I live in east central Oklahoma and we are getting hammered by snow, sleet and whatever this weekend.

Dmak1965

Post by Dmak1965 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:52 am

New to gun dogs. Got a great little french brit named Jaxon. He is just over 4 months. I had him roughly 2 months and sent him to "train" with a professional. That may seem a bit soon but there's good reason (I think anyway). This was one of the coldest winters on record and it really cramped my socialization plans for Jax. I had him signed up for "puppy" classes at a local pet chain but they canceled 4 out of 6 weeks. I took him to dog parks but I was the only crazy there. On the bright side I did take him just about everywhere with me including work. He did really well with potty training (even started using bells on the door). Also took to the crate well. All in all he is a great little pup but I felt like I let him down with the lack of socializing. That's where the trainer comes in, I inquired about a NAVHDA chapter in my area and met this nice young couple that had french Brits and had great success with their dogs testing, hunting etc. We had a family vacation planned for mid-April and would have had to board Jaxon anyway. I thought this was a great way to get Jaxon the socialization he missed out on/needs and board him with great people and their great dogs.

The trainer and I are on the same page in that we are not expecting to much on the hunting side. Just some light bird exposure and maybe a bit of steadiness work. It's not that I don't trust his opinion but I just thought I would throw out some questions to the group.

In your opinion will that lack of socializing early on hurt Jaxon?
Will the month away with the trainer help with it?

Thanks

RLG15

Post by RLG15 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi,

I recently got a pudelpointer puppy. I am living in the Trenton/Belleville area of Ontario. This is my first bird dog so all this is new to me. I use to have beagles and run them on rabbits. That training was relatively easy compared to what it seems like training a bird dog. But it is all fun.

I hope I can use this forum to my benefit as there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this board.

Thanks

pair of pointers

Post by pair of pointers » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:15 am

Hey everybody! I'm a 50 year old union tile setter from NJ that has 2 english pointers (Pepper and Penny) 11 years old and an 8 1/2 months old. I hunt anything and everything but really love bird hunting with my dogs (predominately Pheasant, but also woodcock,grouse and quail). My first pointer was 1 1/2 and already started when I got her so she probably taught me more than I taught her. I decided that since my kids were getting older and I had a little more spare time i'd like to fully train my next dog. The experience has been wonderful and much more rewarding than I could imagine! However I do find myself stuck from time to time which brings me here to seek experienced advice. The new pup (penny) picks up most new tasks with-in 24-48 hrs and when she doesn't I'm learning the mistakes are most often mine. The only thing that took longer was the heel command which she has since mastered.I Never did any type of competition with the older dog but haven't ruled it out with Penny,same for breeding.
Looking forward to talking to you all and sharing stories and advice

PoppyW01

Post by PoppyW01 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:04 am

Hi, I' m 50's and have a Lab pup (Buddy) that's 12 weeks old. He's independent and hard headed. He has been here since birth. I will train to hunt ducks and doves. Litter mates and mom gone now. His dad, Nick, is a fixture here. Nick has not been trained to hunt but has basic obedience down.

30 years ago I trained my first Lab (Kate) using "Water Dog" At just over a year her first hunting retrieve was blind from water to shore and back. I know the methods in Water Dog work. I got Kate at 3 days and bottle raised her so the 49 days and socialization was gone by default. I had time and worked Kate 30 minutes every day and that allowed both of us to learn a lot.

Our dogs live in the house because my wife thinks living in a pen will hurt their feelings. She also thinks dogs are trained by way of conversation and not consistency.

Neither are battles worth fighting, I am used to dogs in the house and in the bed. I know Buddy will need to train away from my wife and his dad.

I know Water Dog is dated. I have experience with it working. I know other methods are available. Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Wayne

KyleRay

Post by KyleRay » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:41 am

Hi there, I'm 30 and work as a part-time IT person for a living. My fiancee and I are from Montana, we grew up with dogs, I had several from the pound and recently we decided to get an active puppy to do dog sports, run and hike with us.

We were tempted between a Lab and a GSP and decided on going the GSP route (god help us).

We picked up "Penny" from Bonas Kennels in Indiana just last weekend so she's about 10 weeks old this week.

We're moving into a house next month but for the moment, we're at an apartment. That said, the beauty of my job is that it is flexible and I can live off working only about 25hrs/week for several months at a time so I spend a lot of time with her at a few unpopulated outdoors areas, trying to be sure we limit her exposures until her vaccination booster (the locations have been 'vet approved').

While I've raised pups before, they've always been a few months old so it's a completely different ball game and I have no doubt I will be seeking answers from those of you who've been through this process before.

Glad to be a part of gundogforum.

Mike Oxenrider

Post by Mike Oxenrider » Sun May 03, 2015 8:04 am

I'm a male and 40yrs old, have two female gsps 3 and 4 and two female English setters 11months and just 9 weeks old. My interest is dog training and bird hunting. I'm just starting out in the field trials with my one setter puppy trials. I try to get out and hunt every game bird across U.S. I'm located in Pa

Holes

Post by Holes » Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi, I'm Sarah, I'm 23 years old and from Illinois. I found this forum when looking up black and white GSPs and found a lot of great information so I thought I'd join. I've had dogs all my life and have always been drawn to the gundogs but never owned one, next to mixes. Never hunted before but always been interested in that and agility/obedience trials so we'll see what happens! Glad to be here!

jgreeny38

Post by jgreeny38 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Ok, My name is John I have two GSP's which stay at home when I'm at college. Recently My Girl friend decided I needed a Lab. so now i have a 12 week year old yellow lab and am reading Tom Dokken's Retriever Training religiously. Funny fact, that girl friend is no longer around because she said I loved the dog more then her! I think that means she isn't a keeper anyway. This will be my first dog to train solo, and first lab to train so we are going to give it the best shot we have and hopefully have a great hunting partner at the end!

Jace

A little about you...

Post by Jace » Wed May 20, 2015 6:46 am

Hello, I'm Jace and this is Polly Vom Entenpfuhler Forst a Deutsch Kurzhaar 15 weeks old. I'm a Soldier stationed in Germany. She's my first gun dog. I've been shooting and hunting for about 2 years. I'm training Polly with a trainer and at home. She's a fast learner and has possibly limitless potential. I'm so exited ( she is too) when I get home to do some work. It's awesome and best of all She is awesome!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432125892.917584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432125915.037109.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432125931.908956.jpg

KingBishop3

Post by KingBishop3 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Greetings folks. My name is Bob and I live in the wilds of northern Pa. working as a security guard. Max, my springer, crossed the Rainbow Bridge early this spring and we will hunt no more :cry: To fill the void, I acquired Sassy, a now 9 week old Gordon... and in preparation for the trials, tribulations, and joys ahead promptly registered here :lol: We chase mostly grouse, with the odd woodcock and pheasant thrown in for good measure.

Jmac870

Post by Jmac870 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey guys my name is Justin and I'm a federal gov employee from atlantic canada. I am an avid hunter with waterfowl being my favorite. Will be bringing home my first chesapeake pup in mid august. Really looking forward to training him to be my hunting buddy.

JesseAnne

Post by JesseAnne » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 pm

My name is Chris... 53yo female... married 6 years to George who made my millenium getting me a gorgeous English Springer Spaniel... Rusty. He is ten weeks old, and almost too well-behaved, if that's possible. I'm Retired Law Enforcement and we now have our own business in mobile RV Repair, which George has done for some 30+ years... N/W Pennsylvania in the summer and Central Florida in the winter. Thrilled to find this forum... it's been ten years since I've had a dog, and really want to give Rusty all the benefits of good training (he already has the benefit of being just a touch doted on!) New to hunting but hoping to get out this year, and in the future with Rusty when he is old enough. I've got a lot to learn, and thank you in advance for the experience on this forum!
Last edited by JesseAnne on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HUNTS

Post by HUNTS » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:00 pm

My name is Steve Hunts(really!). I'm 55 and have trained dogs for about 40 years. Right now I have 2 english setters and live in Bozeman, MT(20 yrs). Life long fisherman and big game hunter as well. Generally more of a lurker than a contributor. Quickly tire of people who post about how Montana is the greatest place in the universe, etc, etc. Mostly enjoy reading people's blogs about hunting and fishing but do visit forums once in awhile. A bit of a curmudgeon.

GilaGSP's

Post by GilaGSP's » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 am

Hi all, thanks for the add. I'm 51 , live in silver city NM . I have 1 gsp adding 2nd this October. Still consider myself a novice in upland game hunting & total beginner bird dog training. Joined to gain more info on both as well , as share my experiences.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Whoa command

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:07 pm

If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:09 am

Hey there,

I'm a 25 year old from Minnesota and work as a legal assistant (currently finishing up classes to apply to grad school). I grew up hunting birds, small game, deer, and fishing. I was raised hunting over an English Springer Spaniel who was absolutely wonderful in the field (and very energetic at home).

I recently put a deposit down on an Irish Red Setter out of IronFire Setters in St. Cloud, Minnesota. I've never had a pointing dog and I am super pumped to get her (driving my beautiful wife crazy - she puts up with it though!). I'm excited to scour the forum here and get as much info as I can related to training her and hunting over her.

Happy Hunting!

Tommy

Golden1

Post by Golden1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:09 pm

17 live in NY have a 5 year old Golden Retriever getting more into hunting/fishing and being outdoors and want a new dog to come with me so started looking at GSP and found this site so I joined to hopefully gain more info

william campbell

Post by william campbell » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:46 am

New to forum and new to having a bird dog
My name is Bill Have been hunting for 30 years bird hunting off and on with freinds who have bird dogs decied i would give it a try
Have a german short hair pup 10 weeks old so any trainng feeding or other advice would be great
thanks again have already learned a lot reading topic in the forum
Bill C PA
Bird and Deer hunting
New puppy GSP

Schatz's Pop

Post by Schatz's Pop » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:35 am

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
Hi, I'm Schatz's Pop and I a 53 yr old guy with his first hunting dog. I'm a total rookie as a trainer, but I've read and watched a lot of material. I'm a solo practitioner patent attorney living in the Northwest Catskills of NY. I've hunted all my life. Mostly squirrel, rabbit, pheasant and deer before Schatz.

Schatzie is a 4 yr old Drahthaar with the sweetest disposition and she really tries. I got her as a pup 4 yrs ago.

I had her started great by myself with retrieving, swimming, gun fire soundness, etc. I took no chances and started her with Masters Voice CD progressing with blanks up through 12ga. live rounds. She would do paterns instinctively working both sides of a trail. She had natural instincts and was off to a great start. I took great pains and 2 months aclimating her to her e-collar.

Unfortunately, when she was a year and a half, due to family illness, I had to leave her with non-hunting people who abused her e-collar, punished her when she got wet and generally dissuaded her from chasing birds or anything else.

Now, with the help of a professional trainer, we are on the road to recovery, but somtimes I think the drive and desire is gone.

We still hunt well together, mostly grouse and woodcock. I am here to get support and any training tips available.

I also have my NY dog tracking license and work her on tracking deer blood trails when I can get the extra to work with.

We don't compete, but I did just join NAVHDA.

Hope to get to know you all.

Schatz's Pop

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Hey there,

Sorry, accidentally submitted this twice; my real post is up a couple spots.

Happy Hunting!
Tommy
Last edited by Twhjelmgren28 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden1

Post by Golden1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:26 am

I live in NY and hunt waterfowl and upland as well as deer and turkey. I joined because I was thinking about getting a new dog and wanted to get a lot of info before getting one and learning all I can.

Schatz's Pop

Post by Schatz's Pop » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:15 am

Schatz's Pop wrote:
fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
Hi, I'm Schatz's Pop and I a 53 yr old guy with his first hunting dog. I'm a total rookie as a trainer, but I've read and watched a lot of material. I'm a solo practitioner patent attorney living in the Northwest Catskills of NY. I've hunted all my life. Mostly squirrel, rabbit, pheasant and deer before Schatz.

Schatzie is a 4 yr old Drahthaar with the sweetest disposition and she really tries. I got her as a pup 4 yrs ago.

I had her started great by myself with retrieving, swimming, gun fire soundness, etc. I took no chances and started her with Masters Voice CD progressing with blanks up through 12ga. live rounds. She would do paterns instinctively working both sides of a trail. She had natural instincts and was off to a great start. I took great pains and 2 months aclimating her to her e-collar.

Unfortunately, when she was a year and a half, due to family illness, I had to leave her with non-hunting people who abused her e-collar, punished her when she got wet and generally dissuaded her from chasing birds or anything else.

Now, with the help of a professional trainer, we are on the road to recovery, but somtimes I think the drive and desire is gone.

We still hunt well together, mostly grouse and woodcock. I am here to get support and any training tips available.

I also have my NY dog tracking license and work her on tracking deer blood trails when I can get the extra to work with.

We don't compete, but I did just join NAVHDA.

Hope to get to know you all.

Schatz's Pop
By the way, my name is Russ - "Schatz's Pop" just because I spoil her.

FlyingDutchman12

Post by FlyingDutchman12 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Greetings,
My name is Jay and I recently found this site and decided to join. I honestly can't believe It took me this long to know of its existence! Anyhow, I've been an avid bird hunter for over 20 years and I've owned a GSP and an EP in that time. The EP, my second dog, is 13 years old now so I actually have another Elhew Pup on the way from Nitro Kennels in MO. I'm incredibly excited to pick him up in a few weeks as you only get to buy and train so many gun dogs in your life.

In addition to pointing dogs, I enjoy shooting (trying to anyway) sporting clays, skeet, trap and I've shot a little pistol competitively in IDPA. I also spend my winters, springs and summers fly fishing for trout and steelhead when time permits. I work in the technology industry and manage a sales team and a consulting organization, but my first vocation is being a husband and father to three great kids.

I look forward to learning from you all and contributing where I can.

Thanks!
-FlyingDutchman
"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." -Gene Hill

Princessangela3201

Post by Princessangela3201 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:37 pm

Hey all...my name is Angela, my husband is Shaun. This is my 5th year hunting and my husband has hunted since he was a kid. We are in our early 40's I work in a dialysis clinic and my husband works for a trucking company. We mainly hunt upland birds and deer. We occasional get to duck hunt. We are not looking for the perfectly trained hunting dog but we are looking for the perfect dog for us. We are hoping to have an amazing team with Sophie and Sherman.
We have a 6 year old 22 pound Yorkshire terrier Sherman Tank who is in his 4th season hunting as our flusher. He learned to hunt on his own. He started hunting pigeons as a puppy with my husband, never fearing the guns. He went everywhere with us so one day we decided to let him go out on a hunt with us. He followed a GSP momma who tolerated his antics well and little by little he figured it all out by hunting with the GSP and quickly came to the point we could hunt him all by himself :lol:
We have a 12 week old GSP Sophie Remmington. We have high hopes that she will be an amazing pointer, however right now she is all puppy. She will be trained by the trainer at our hunt club. Right now we are in the be buddies phase, only able to teach "here" "kennel" potty training and not to bite (by lifting her back legs up???). We can play fetch but we do not use any commands other than to say good girl when she retrieves her ball, stick or toy, otherwise we were asked not to teach anything. No sit or tug of war. We've known the trainer at the club for quite awhile and will follow his instructions.
We are excited to participate in her training and hope to have a good hunting team.
We are curious on how many owners of female GSP's spay their dog at an early age? We do not intend to breed her so is spaying at 4-6 months as our vet recommended too early?

Looking forward to learning from all you knowledgable folks out there!

Angela
Last edited by Princessangela3201 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:09 am

Hello,
A quick story about me......my wife and I turned 65 this year and I am now retired. I worked for Coors Brewing Company for 17 years and Sony Electronics for over 10 years. In my earlier years, I was in Banking in Colorado. Over the last 30 years I was in management specialized in Supply Chain disciplines, I finished up at GM for a Sony Distribution/ Call Center operation.

I have been an avid bird hunter since 1990 and have owned field bred Golden Retrievers since that time also. I currently have three Goldens, our youngest being 26 months old. She earned her SH and WCX titles this year and we have not yet decided if we will pursue a MH title with her yet. We wanted a fully trained gun dog, and she is already that!

I have three kids, 2 boys and 1 daughter who have all blessed us with 6 grandchildren (4 girls and 2 boys). Our sons live within 3 hours of where we live and both are active outdoorsman. Neither one has a trained bird dog, so guess who gets an invite when one of the boys wants to go bird hunting….A good hint for you young folks just starting families. Have a trained gun dog as your kids get settled and you will get to see them more, as long as you bring the dogs with you!

We all are members of a hunt club in this area that gives us access to leased land in MO, KS, NEB, and Iowa…this really helps with both dog training and hunting/fishing opportunities. Still have to scout and do the work, but access is not a problem. I am primarily a waterfowl hunter but I do go pheasant and quail hunting every year a few times and I always go out for dove during the opening week….Missouri does a wonderful job of planting sunflowers and wheat fields for public access…
Well I think that about covers my story…hope to see some of you out in the blinds some time! :)

Mr. Fisherman

Post by Mr. Fisherman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 pm

I am a 41 Y.O. small biz owner from the Mpls area. I currently have 1 British Lab and am getting ready to pick up my first GSP. I have always trained my dogs myself, and have done a respectable job. Now with my first pointer, I hope to do all the training myself again, but I am a bit nervous and I am doing all I can to give me and the dog best odds for success. Been taking in all the info from here I can and watching a few videos elsewhere.

Rob

raganoutdoors

Post by raganoutdoors » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:15 am

I am Josh Ragan
41 year old male, Systems Administrator currently deployed to Bagram, Afghanistan hoping my wife is running the dogs like she say she is seeing I get back late October just in time to take November off work for pheasant and quail hunting.
I own 5 brittanys I have trained myself under the direction of a 25 year old field trial veteran that passed a few summers ago. I still do training for some of his clients and for individuals that buy pups from me. I have been hunting for as long as I can remember and about 8 years ago developed a passion for bird dogs and upland game making it about the only thing I hunt these days.

My 14 year old is excited about me coming home and both of us heading into the field for a month. Just started today taking some shooting instruction so when I get back he should be a better shot than I am :D

My wife of 19 years enjoys hunting with us but since getting her a nice camera her shooting has turned from shotgun to camera, unless she can have her Sig out.

Look forward to seeing what the forum has to offer.

uplandviz

Post by uplandviz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey all- Name is Rich- 29 years old, Rutgers University Grad, Veteran of Iraq War (Infantry) Hunting with Gun: Boar, deer, pheasant, Chukar, Duck, Grouse. Hunting with Bow: Boar, Turkey, Deer, Fox
Just got my first Vizsla. He is now 11 months. Started NAVHDA about 3 months ago. Training him myself has been a blast (always had someone else train my dog).
Life is too short not to get lost in the woods once in awhile

dogdaze

Post by dogdaze » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello all, my name is Kevin and I am 39 years old and an amateur, self taught hunter. A couple of months ago I acquired a dog that really seems to want to hunt. She follows birds and squirrels from tree to tree, chases rabbits and cats. Digs holes in pursuit of varmints that head under ground and she seems to have a good nose in my amateur opinion. I've placed hot dogs at the end of fishing line and pulled it through the yard and out into the woods while my pup remained indoors so she could not see and then I waited 10 minutes before bringing her out and she went straight to the trail and followed it like it was mapped in orange paint straight to the hot dog. I have also tested her at sniffing out people and she has successfully located my wife and son on the first try while hiding on our 10 acre property.

I think she could be a good hunting dog. There is some kind of hound or cur in her. The shelter where I got her basically said she was found in the woods as a stray, which is a common thing out here in this part of South Carolina. I signed up hoping I could learn more about hunting with dogs or get some pointers on where to start with my dog. At this point I'm honestly not sure which game to train her to hunt but I think she would do well with most small game. Hopefully as I read and learn more I can figure out what direction to take her in but for now it's hard to decide between rabbits, squirrels or birds.
This is a pic of my dog. The vet thought she could be a Feist/Cur mix but we don't really know what she is.
river4.jpg

Redleg

Post by Redleg » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Hello. I'm 46, been living all over for the past 25 years in the Army. Hunt deer, ducks, turkey, and upland birds. Been hunting a long time behind friends' dogs, now its time to get my own. Lots of hunting experience, decent amount of obedience experience with non hunting dogs, no real experience with hunt training, but looking forward to it. My boys are 12 and 10. Looking forward to spending time in the blind / field with the boys and a dog.

blackonyx

Post by blackonyx » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:17 pm

HI, I'm a 53. my name is Rick. I a maint. mechanic at a resort, in central N.H. I started hunting when I was 12 . I have a 6 yr. old black lab named Gunner. I hunt pheasant, grouse, woodcock and waterfowl. I also hunt turkey and deer. we have a great time together and we usually do pretty good. it's such a joy to watch him work. We take a lot of trips to northern N.H. where there are abundant grouse populations and they don't flush 40 yards out .Lol.
Last edited by blackonyx on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dhaughs

Post by Dhaughs » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm Dave. 38. Indiana. Controls Engineer. Have hunted different things off and on since I was a kid. Still a novice. Have a 4 year old GSP and a 1 year old GSP/Lab mix. Took in both from a rescue last Jan after we lost our 12 year old Lab to cancer. Both dogs spent a month with a bird dog trainer learning to hunt quail and getting gunned over. Both are pretty obedient but still need some work, the handler probably needs more than the dogs do, but we are all getting there. I don't care for hunting without dogs. I hunt upland and about to start waterfowling in a few days.