not a hunter :)

angie jan

not a hunter :)

Post by angie jan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:56 pm

But I'm looking for information about E collars and I'm told hunters are the 'go to' guys ;)

I have a Pyrenees gal, coming on a year who has been doing very well learning to keep the vermin away from the farm She has learned 'leave it' well and it takes little to get her focused back on me and away from whatever she see's as a 'threat'.... most of the time.

No misunderstanding this dog has the instincts of a protector and I've seen them 'take over' ... she can be quite a weapon! The problem? Last month she killed my daughter cat... in the house. Yes, there is a gate separating the dogs and the rest of the house, but, having shown no strong aggression in the past the cat must have considered the kitchen safe enough to go looking for a midnight snack. She did escape the dogs (yes, the Collie was also involved in the assault, as she had a scratch on her nose) but either a lung was crushed or punctured and she didn't last long thereafter. Whether the kill was purposeful of not, the dog has to learn that cats... ESPECIALLY in the house.. are off limits. We still have on left and I'm might partial to it.

So, I have a Tritronics 70 E collar on the way, and I'd like to be educated on it's use.

Point me in the right direction please :)

k2k

Re: not a hunter :)

Post by k2k » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey ya Angie!

K2K, aka Sooner or Later here, welcome to the board. You mostly want to look at the Training section. Who knows, you might even end up getting a bird dawg :D !

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:21 am

If all you want to use it for is to keep her away from your cats I would just use the same technique as trash breaking for deer or snakes.

angie jan

Post by angie jan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 am

I found some online videos made by the Tritronics family and I'm really enjoying learning the technique.

There would be other instances I could use the collar for if she responds well to the training. Calling her back when she's found a night time intruder and she's treed it :roll: Solidifying her perimeter training 'in the yard'.

She know's a lot of her commands but the Pyr is a very stubborn and independent breed. Very smart as well. She is a good girl and I hope she takes well to the training.

I'm happy to learn all you guys have to teach me. I don't like to do things 'half heartedly'.